What have I done?!- Adding a stack

Reaction score
Hey guys, probably a stupid questions so please be nice...basically, I had a finder window open then selected 'Documents' from the left hand sinde )under places) and dragged it down to the bottom right bit to try and get a documents stack but I, errr, got a cloud of smoke and it disappeared instead! I didn't put it in the trash, just near by.

Can anyone help me on this? Thankyou!!!

Edit- Not sure how to delete the thread so UPDATE, I got it back lol. Any idea how to get a document stack though? cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey guys, probably a stupid questions so please be nice...

This is the Switcher's forum - there are no stupid questions here. Welcome and make yourself comfortable.

basically, I had a finder window open then selected 'Documents' from the left hand sinde )under places) and dragged it down to the bottom right bit to try and get a documents stack but I, errr, got a cloud of smoke and it disappeared instead! I didn't put it in the trash, just near by.

Can anyone help me on this? Thankyou!!!

Good deal, glad to hear it.

Edit- Not sure how to delete the thread so UPDATE, I got it back lol. Any idea how to get a document stack though? cheers

Yep, go to your Home folder - in the Home folder, you should see your documents folder (in the actual directory, not the side bar). Drag and drop it onto the right side of the Dock between the divider line and the Trash.

Reaction score
I've been searching for something like this question and would like to add a question. Is the document icon in the sidebar actually a shortcut to the real documents or could there have been originals in it? The reason is because I tried to drag it to an external hard drive - and poof - right up in a cloud of smoke

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.