Add HDTV (mirrored) to dual monitor Mac Pro setup

Reaction score
I currently have an intel Mac Pro with the graphics card with dual DVI outputs. I am using both outputs for a dual monitor setup on my desktop.

I am getting a Samsung LN46A550 HDTV (for the same room).

What I want to do is leave the dual monitor desktop setup the same and connect the HDTV so that the image of one monitor is mirrored on the HDTV. I'm not sure if this matters, but I do not necessarily need to have the mirrored image visible on both the monitor and the HDTV at the same time.

I know that I can get a DVI Y splitter and connect that to one of the outputs on the Mac Pro. And then I can connect the HDTV via DVI to HDMI cable (i.e. the HDTV and one of the desktop monitors connected to the two ends of the DVI splitter).

Is this the best way to do it? And will there be any degradation of signal (I guess not since it is digital but am not completely sure of that)?

The HDTV has a VGA input which I could use but I would rather not since I will connect another PC to that.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.