• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Compressor suddenly non-functioning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5, 1.8 GHz / 152 GB & 232 GB & 4 x Lacie 500 GB external / 3.5 GB RAM / OSX 10.4.10
I've been using Compressor, exporting out of Final Cut Studio, on and off for the last six months during postproduction of my 13-minute high-def short. I never had a problem with Compressor, until recently. I can export a program, set up all my settings and my destination, but when I hit 'submit' it just hangs there with estimated time of completion 'unknown.'

I've tried rebooting, and walking away and leaving it for hours, but it just sits there doing nothing. Quicktime conversion out of Final Cut works okay, but that does not have as much functionality.

I'm wondering if I have run out of space required to operate Compressor on my hard-drive, because I'm getting up there -- I have two internal hard drives, with 150 GB and 230 GB capacities, 28 GB remaining on #1 and 34 GB remaining on #2. But Compressor isn't telling me anything; it's just refusing to work, no matter the size of the project I try to export.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Open the Console.app in the Applications/Utilities folder and then start you FCP and Compressor process. Look in the console log for possible clues. It sounds to me like Compressor is waiting for something. Are the sequences in FCP all rendered?

Space doesn't sound like a problem unless you are rendering to an uncompressed format. But I would think you would get a message warning you of the problem, or you would see, via the Finder, the disk loosing space as the render works on. Doesn't sound like you get that far though otherwise the status bars would show that.

Many people at this stage would scrap the Compressor preference file, and maybe the FCP preference file next.

You should also go to the Apple discussion forums as their is likely more users over there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
It sounds to me like Compressor is waiting for something. Are the sequences in FCP all rendered?

I found out this weekend that when FCP calls Compressor, the sequences do not have to be rendered. That, according to a Compressor tutorial I was watching.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5, 1.8 GHz / 152 GB & 232 GB & 4 x Lacie 500 GB external / 3.5 GB RAM / OSX 10.4.10
Thanks for your advice, xstep.

My problem has been solved by following your advice and chatting in this thread, where some other people were having the same problem at Apple's Compressor message board:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1661613&tstart=0

To summarize: I cleared out preference files for Compressor, Batch and FCP, rebooted, and then this morning discovered my Batch Monitor had been stacking jobs after an earlier render attempt had failed. When I cleared these out, it solved the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.