I Need Help with Airport Express 802.11g

Reaction score
I recently purchased both the Airport Express 802.11g and the AftertheMac USB Wireless Adapter on Ebay. The adapter came with an installation disk and has its setup has been completed. The Airport Express did not come with an installation disk, but I was able to find instructions for how to create and initiate a network connection at the following address: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=934. I followed a link from another page to instructions for restoring the base station to factory default. After restoring the base station, I was finally able to get Airport Utility to recognize it as a wireless device and began following the instructions I found at the above link. Everything flowed smoothly until I came to the final step where it was supposed to update and restart the device. At this point it stated that there was an error and, while the network created had been saved, it no longer could locate the wireless device and therefore could not connect. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the USB adapter not being set up correctly. It shows that it is connected in the Network monitor, and I created a profile for it in the Wireless Utility program it seems to run with, but so far I have never been able to get a connection. My brother, who owns a PC, has been getting service since I restored the base station to factory default. Can anyone help me diagnose and address this problem?

Thanks,

Ryan

Reaction score
Ryan,
Is your problem with the router or the Airport Express?

I just bought the AE and the instructions which came with it didn't work.

1. Connect AE with ethernet cable directly to router
2. Run Airport utility and set up your network settings; password etc.
3. When it's happy, disconnect AE from router and place where you want it.

This worked for me.
If this aint your problem, ignore everything I said.

N

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Where did you get the AirPort Express from? Any chance it's a dud?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.