• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I'm getting very angry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
And no I'm not Marvin the martian. I bought a macbook on the 7th off of ebay and paid for it on the 8th, but I'm getting really bad vibes from this guy as it takes him FOREVER to answer my emails. The guy sent me 3 messages during the course of Friday night and Saturday morning wondering when I was going to pay for it. I paid for it Saturday afternoon and asked the guy if he could mail it out to me on Monday. The guy didn't answer my email until yesterday and he said he was "So sorry" and he was "Out of town." Of course I emailed him back later on during the night and asked if he mailed it out yet, and still no answer. Look it's $800 I'm talking about here, should I file an item not received report?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does the guy have a history on eBay? Anyone else comment that they had not receiving their items in a timely manner? Slow to respond to emails?

Maybe if you look back at his feedback history that will give you a better idea of what to expect from him. I would give him at least 5 business days to ship, after that, I'd start getting worried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
i would open a dispute right now with paypal, its a little fast, and you might look like a jerk for it but by doing this you lock his paypal account and any money he may be transferring. If he does scam you, you have a way way better chance of getting more of your money back.

dont let up till you get a tracking number, and even then i would probably wait till you recieve the item

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz/200gb/2gb/15.4"+ Tons of Windows PC's
Go get his phone #. Use this form:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQtZvbQQsofindtypeZ9

Call him. Also use his phone # and use the # to search on where he lives (please don't stalk him though) Just use it in case he is a scammer and want to sue him- that way you will have his information

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
....The guy didn't answer my email until yesterday and he said he was "So sorry" and he was "Out of town." Of course I emailed him back later on during the night and asked if he mailed it out yet, and still no answer.
I would give him at least 5 business days to ship, after that, I'd start getting worried.
I agree with this. Email is not an instant messaging service, though many people sometimes try to treat it as such. Life sometimes brings you minor hang-ups and you should be giving the seller the benefit of the doubt. It might take him a day or two to respond, especially if he just got back from being out of town.
Be patient and give him ample time to respond and ship the item.
eBay sellers are regular people (for the most part), not gigantic corporate retail entities.
Don't jump in with a missing item report when it has only been 3 business days since you paid for your item. Give it until at least Friday and if he hasn't responded by then, perhaps you could begin to consider a dispute.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
so many scammers out there today, no way I would spend that much $ on anything without dealing in person with the party.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Isn't it funny that eBay sellers are always glued to their desks 24/7 until the moment you pay, then they're 'out of town'. Seriously, I have bought 30 or 40 items from eBay and probably more than a quarter of them went through the pattern you just described.

What I personally think it is down to is people selling things they don't havem need the money quickly to buy it, but then have to wait themselves for it to be shipped. But then again, I am a cynic!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Isn't it funny that eBay sellers are always glued to their desks 24/7 until the moment you pay, then they're 'out of town'. Seriously, I have bought 30 or 40 items from eBay and probably more than a quarter of them went through the pattern you just described.

What I personally think it is down to is people selling things they don't havem need the money quickly to buy it, but then have to wait themselves for it to be shipped. But then again, I am a cynic!

Not to get too far OT, but it is odd how they're always "out of town" during an auction. Whenever I've ever sold anything, I always figured it would behoove me to be available during and immediately after the auction - in fact, I always watch them like a hawk.

I once bought a Dell DJ (I know, I know...) that didn't ship and the seller never responded until I filed a dispute with Paypal. Oddly enough it was post marked the very next day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I once bought a Dell DJ (I know, I know...) that didn't ship and the seller never responded until I filed a dispute with Paypal. Oddly enough it was post marked the very next day.

The exact same thing happened to me with an ebay store and a bluetooth headset. Oddly enough when I bought my Blackberry (which was from a person, not a store) it shipped the same day I payed. Just depends I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i hate to disagree with a mod and make you paranoid. But I got scammed on a touch.

and if you wait longer, less money may become available to you through paypals protection program if you wait forever.

my actual best advice would be to look at any other active listings he has, and when his last feedbacks were posted and judge what to do from there.

hope this helps and sorry to sound like a crazy paranoid person...lol

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
I filed an item not received report with paypal yesterday and I even called the guy and still no answer. It's weird because he's been a member since 2006 and has really good feedback!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I filed an item not received report with paypal yesterday and I even called the guy and still no answer. It's weird because he's been a member since 2006 and has really good feedback!

yah, but this could be irrelevant.

if someone phished his account they can sell bs(bologna stuff :D) on it and take the money by just changing the paypal info.

also, lots of scammers will sell stuff to each other and leave each other lots of positive feedback this way it looks like a good account/seller.

poker chips are an item that is generally used among others.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yah, but this could be irrelevant.

if someone phished his account they can sell bs(bologna stuff :D) on it and take the money by just changing the paypal info.

also, lots of scammers will sell stuff to each other and leave each other lots of positive feedback this way it looks like a good account/seller.

poker chips are an item that is generally used among others.

Well, I just spoke with someone on paypal on the phone. Regardless of whether or not I receive the laptop, I get my money back because I'm protected up to $2,000. :D To be honest, I'm kinda hoping the guy doesn't answer...I miss having a powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz/200gb/2gb/15.4"+ Tons of Windows PC's
Well, I just spoke with someone on paypal on the phone. Regardless of whether or not I receive the laptop, I get my money back because I'm protected up to $2,000. :D To be honest, I'm kinda hoping the guy doesn't answer...I miss having a powerbook.

You only get the money if the guy kept the money in his account. If you read the User Agreement it states in section 2 paragraph 2 of section VII. (Consumer Protection Programs) that Recovery of your claim is not guaranteed. It happened to me, but after I threatened a lawsuit, he paypaled my money back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You only get the money if the guy kept the money in his account.

yah i didnt get the full amount back, think it was about 50 dollars or so short.
hurts, but i really didnt know what else i could of done about it. just learned from my mistake.... :(

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you guys serious.....Wow....I swear I'll hunt the guy down and...yeah...Haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol, hope it all works out dude. if not lemme know i hate scammers too, we'll go on a spree!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
You two going to get matching finger tattoos that say AEQUITAS.

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
maybe, and then were goin out bashing for the rights of the consumer!!!

and after that its companies that dont support their warranties!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
maybe, and then were goin out bashing for the rights of the consumer!!!

and after that its companies that dont support their warranties!!!

LOL!

*cough* Like the Xbox 360 warranties *cough*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.