Windows XP shuts down on Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 2.8 8 CX/2x1G/320/2600XT/sd
Ok, so I purchased this new Mac Pro hoping to solve all my PC worries. Well it hasn’t. Because I use some software for work (Auto-CAD, MS Project, AIA documents) I still need access to Windows environment. The sales person at the Apple store sung the praises on how easy it was to run both operating systems on a MAC using boot camp and I could have the best of both worlds. Ok, he sold me. Well the MAC side works fine however I am having a problem on the Windows XP side where it just shuts down after approx. 20 min. of running time, regardless of what I am running. Apple wont talk to me because it’s a XP problem and they haven’t been schooled on that…and talking to Microsoft….well I’m sure some of you folks know what that’s like. So does anyone have any ideas what I can do to figure why this is happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Mr Paul,

Could be some corrupted Windows files. You could try going into Boot Camp and to do a Repair Installation... that's where you use the Windows install disc and click on the second possible "R" that comes up on the options screens - R for Repair (the first one is for another R function, Recovery I think). The Windows install disc goes through what looks like a full install, but replaces all corrupted files with good copies. Takes about the same length of time as a regular install, but DOES NOT change your settings or programs. Usually helps the Windows program to do its job correctly.

I haven't done this on my Mac but have many times on a PC and it does work. You may have to use Boot Camp Assistant, but I'm not sure how this would work on that partition, but if you can use the install disc on either Boot Camp directly or on the Assistant, it should help you...

Good luck, let us know how this works (or whether Boot Camp will let you do it),

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
never used bootcamp, but I run xp using parallels... works great. no issues at all.

its rare that I use windows, but when I do it works fine with parallels.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 2.8 8 CX/2x1G/320/2600XT/sd
I think it worked!!!

Noel, I think it worked thank you. I played around with it all day and re-started it a couple of times and it seems to be working, thank you. However now I seem to have another glitch whereas if I try to open a file done on Excel it hangs up, but if I open Excel and then open the file from within Excel it opens. Not that I intend to use it a lot, but while playing around yesterday I came across that…bit odd. Anyway thanks again.

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Paul,

Glad you got it working well... Not sure about the Excel file thing. Seems to me if you open an Excel file, it will automatically open Excel. You could re-install Office, see if it fixes that.

But first, try opening a Word file, see if it acts the same way. If a Word file opens Word, it's working correctly, and I wouldn't re-install Office. It could just be that Excel file...

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacPro 2x QuadCore Xeon 8G Ram
RE Windows Shuts down

Bought my first MAC last week. I have too much time involved in a lot of VB macros that wont run in Office for MAC. So used boot camp and loaded XP Pro and Office on a another drive. Has the same 20 minute XP reboot. MAC store was no help, suggested Fusion or Parallels. Also pointed to another store that would install it for me for $180. Figured that was a bit too pricey. Won't bore you with the gyrations I went through BUT: "***"umed NIS 2008 for Windows would work and installed it on XP. Uninstalled Norton and no 20 minute reboot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.