New MBP owner and first time MAC user!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6ghz, 4gb ram, 200gb 7200rpm, 17" HD GLOSSY
Greetings all, first post. I am a long time and forever PC user. I have been designing software and building systems as a hobby for PC's. I have never even sat in front of a MAC. NO CLUE! I know every in and out of Window's and behavior of the PC.

My brand new MBP 2.6ghz, 4gb ram, 200mb 7200rpm, 17" high def wide GLOSSY will be here on Thursday.

Very excited. And would greatly appreciate any tips, tricks, comments from all.

Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I think the best way with a Mac is just to relax. Try to remember that though it will do the same things as a PC it might not do them in the same way - or you get really frustrated! So yeah, sit and play with it for a while, feel your way a bit, and we're all here if you have any questions at all.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the best way with a Mac is just to relax. Try to remember that though it will do the same things as a PC it might not do them in the same way - or you get really frustrated! So yeah, sit and play with it for a while, feel your way a bit, and we're all here if you have any questions at all.

Thank you, I will do just that!

Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac.

Prepare for an adjustment period. In some senses, it will be kind of like coming from the US and driving in the UK; everything is basically the same, only its different. Go with the flow. Play around with the OS. Your keyboard shortcuts will mostly be the same, for example... except that you will use the command key instead of the control key. Throw in the option (similar to alt) key with your shortcuts and see what happens. Learn to understand your new environment. Once you "get it" you'll be fine.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok....Been in a state of confusion for 24 hours now. This is quite an adjustment.

I for the life of me, cannot figure out how to right click from the touchpad.

For example, when in firefox, if I want to open a link in a new tab, or correct a misspelt highlighted word, how can I do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Ok....Been in a state of confusion for 24 hours now. This is quite an adjustment.

For example, when in firefox, if I want to open a link in a new tab, or correct a misspelt highlighted word, how can I do that?

Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Mouse tab

Here you can set two finger click. Once enabled, to right click, place two fingers on the track pad and click. It will be like a normal right click in windows.

This will also allow you to scroll vertically and horizontally with 2 fingers on the track pad. So if you wanted to scroll down just put 2 fingers on the track pad and make a downward motion.

Hope that helps.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Mouse tab

Here you can set two finger click. Once enabled, to right click, place two fingers on the track pad and click. It will be like a normal right click in windows.

This will also allow you to scroll vertically and horizontally with 2 fingers on the track pad. So if you wanted to scroll down just put 2 fingers on the track pad and make a downward motion.

Hope that helps.

WAHOOOOOOOOOO!!

Thank you.. that made this A LOT more comfortable:D :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
beware, other touchpads suck after the two finger touchpad ;)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
beware, other touchpads suck after the two finger touchpad ;)

LOL! as I was navigating back to this page, I thought "man, using the touchpad on my dell is a pain compared to the two fingers required on the MBP"

LOVING THIS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook

Had you read through the sticky thread I directed you to, you would not have had to go past the second post in it to find your answer:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=301332&postcount=2

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
If you go to System Preferences> Mouse and Keyboard you can check a box to use a two-fingered tap as a right click if that works for you, or use Ctrl+click. Cmd+T should also open a new tab for you, or if you hold Command when you click on a link it'll open in a new tab (might depend on you preferences though).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.