Can't Look At Network Computers

Reaction score
Today my MacBook Pro suddenly wasn't able to look at folders in my networked Windows computers. They show up in Finder occasionally but when I click on them it just says connecting and doesn't do anything. I have been listening to my music on an external drive with Songbird but it won't play music anymore either. Please help I need my music lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Today my MacBook Pro suddenly wasn't able to look at folders in my networked Windows computers. They show up in Finder occasionally but when I click on them it just says connecting and doesn't do anything. I have been listening to my music on an external drive with Songbird but it won't play music anymore either. Please help I need my music lol.

So I'm guessing the connection to the networked windows computer worked at one point and then it stopped? I would check your router/modem to make sure your connection is dropping. Especially since you mentioned that it would show up in finder occasionally.

Try bringing up a terminal and pinging your windows desktop:

ping <ip address> n -1000

This will ping it continuously, make sure there are no dropped packets.

As for you external drive, make sure the cable is/stays plugged in? That's kind of weird that even your external HD stopped working. Do you have it hooked up through USB or firewire?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Does it still happen after rebooting everything? Macs, Windows PCs, router etc

OP
P
Reaction score
Nevermind, I figured it out. My dad reinstalled ZoneAlarm on the Windows computers and didn't set it up for a network. Thanks for showing me how to ping on macs though! I'm sure that will be useful eventually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Nevermind, I figured it out. My dad reinstalled ZoneAlarm on the Windows computers and didn't set it up for a network. Thanks for showing me how to ping on macs though! I'm sure that will be useful eventually.

Cool, glad it's fixed. A no problem on the pinging thing ;)

Rep would be nice! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.