• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDvd wont finish burning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Core 2 duo iMac (20in), 320gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1066mhz, iPhone 3g (8GB), Nano 4g (16GB)
Ok so i am trying to burn a movie i made onto dvd. And i have the dvd set up the way i want it, and i click burn. It goes through all the rendering and processing steps, but when it gets to multiplexing and burning the disc ejects early and it wont finish burning. I have tried about 3 times and it happens every time. Anyone have any thoughts?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Do you get an error message. I have seen that, when the you have more than two hours of video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Hi iapple,

It could be that the DVD you are trying to burn on is too low in capacity for the movie your trying to burn onto.

OP
iApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Core 2 duo iMac (20in), 320gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1066mhz, iPhone 3g (8GB), Nano 4g (16GB)
Thanks for your responses but its not either of those. The movie is only 20 minutes long, and the dvd i am trying to use has 4gb's of capacity. So im pretty much stuck on what to do. Maybe i will go try and buy different dvd+r's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I use "Save as Disc Image..." instead of "Burn DVD..." because this isolates issues with the actual burning process and coaster discs. After the image is created, I use Toast to burn the DVD, but I believe Disk Utility can do that too.

Reaction score
I use "Save as Disc Image..." instead of "Burn DVD..." because this isolates issues with the actual burning process and coaster discs. After the image is created, I use Toast to burn the DVD, but I believe Disk Utility can do that too.

i made this username just to tell you that you have solved a problem i have been having for a few years now,,, this changes my burning experiences forever,, i have had trouble burning dual layer dvds because of the issue listed in this post, and you sir/mam have helped me out more than i can say... thank you so much, you are the best!!!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
you sir/mam have helped me out more than i can say... thank you so much, you are the best!!!!! :D

You are welcome. And it a sir. :)

Reaction score
DVD ejects on Mac when trying to burn with iDVD

The same thing happened to me using 2 different brands of DVD-R's, but I read on another forum to use Sony DVD-R and my DVD burned first time!:D

C

chas_m

BROADLY speaking, the usual reason why iDVD won't burn an otherwise-to-spec project is that the boot drive requires HUGE amounts of free space (easily 5x-10x the capacity of the disc) in order to do all the parambulations (technical term) it needs to do to make the DVD.

As noted, Save as Disc Image cuts down on the requirements of free space somewhat and thus is usually successful when the burn isn't. You can burn the resulting image later with Disk Utility if you don't have a third-party DVD burning program.

But as a rule of thumb, before you open an iDVD project, make sure you have let's say at least 50GB of free space available on the boot drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.