Any easy way to update firmware on imac g3 DV?

Reaction score
My imac g3 (500mhz 640mb ram DVD-rom) currently has 10.2.8 running on it but I want to upgrade to tiger. I bought a legit copy of tiger locally, but when I try to install it, it tells me that the firmware must be upgraded. I am a lttle puzzled becase I thought that I already had the latest firmware due to the previous owner installing 10.2.8 on it.

So if I do need to update the firmware, how can I go about doing this. I searched and found something about having to boot from OS 9, but I do not have that installed and my classic files are not there. Would I have to wipe the harddrive and install OS 9 just to install firmware, and then do a clean install of tiger? What version of OS 9 would I need?

Man, I didnt think upgrading old macs would be this compicated. :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I don't think there is an "easy way" but your first port of call might be Mactracker http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/ There is a firmware link from the material covering your model of computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Go to 'About this Mac' and check if the firmware is 4.1.9. If so, and think it should be as you are running OS X, make sure the Tiger DVD is the full retail install version and not a model specific copy. The disc should be black and not grey.

Here is Apple firmware list for iMacs:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75130

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.