Problem re-installing OS X, Pls Help

B

billitone

Hi all,

So after updating to 10.3.7, I encountered loooong start up times after restarting, sluggish performance and even freezing dock, very hot PB (comes from HD) and finally forced shut down my 12" 867MHz and then got kernel panic upon restarting.:mac:

I decided to boot up from OSX installer CD to open up disk utility as I don't have DiskWarrior, guess what? It could not verify or repair my HD (error upon quit). So then I decided to reinstall everything, but then the HD was not mounted and could not be mounted.:p

Anyone have a clue what's going on with my PB? :doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
did you repair permissions after the update? have you recently installed any new hardware or software? have you tried holding down shift while starting up? or option while starting up?

OP
B

billitone

Macman said:
did you repair permissions after the update? have you recently installed any new hardware or software? have you tried holding down shift while starting up? or option while starting up?

I did repair permissions after update as usual, did not instal any new hardware but did try to install nikon capture but to no avail as it did not complete (i forced quit due to long inactivity).

I also tried holding down shift while starting up, did even reset PRAM, but not tried pressing option during start up.

If only the installer can identify my HD then it should be ok, because I can just reinstall everything, but seems like the HD is gone or something....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I have a feeling that nikon capture caused the problem, most likely a bad extension conflict. if you have another mac avaiable, use target diskmode or firewire disk mode and with your ibook mounted, go into it and delete anything involved with the nikon capture.
why were you installing that anyway? iphoto is good, and image capture is really good too if you dont like iphoto.

OP
B

billitone

Macman said:
I have a feeling that nikon capture caused the problem, most likely a bad extension conflict. if you have another mac avaiable, use target diskmode or firewire disk mode and with your ibook mounted, go into it and delete anything involved with the nikon capture.
why were you installing that anyway? iphoto is good, and image capture is really good too if you dont like iphoto.

Thanks Vincent for your replies...much appreciated.
I am using a trial copy of nikon capture as I have Nikon D70, that's why.

Ups...my bad. I think I pressed "erase" in the disk utility, so now everything is gone :eek: but hey....still no HD detected by the installer? how come? Does "erase" create new empty drive? :eek:neye:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.