Don't know which laptop to get for college

Reaction score
I'm going to college in like 2 weeks, and haven't gotten a laptop yet. I don't know if I should get the MB or MBP... I know the MB will be fine for my uses (nothing graphics intensive, just normal user stuff) but I'm afraid the very small screen size (most PC notebooks I see are at least 15.4") and the glossy screen will cause a lot of inconvenience... (My eyesight is really poor) However, the MBP is so much more expensive...

Reaction score
Why don't you get a macbook for when your in class, and when in residence or whatever use a monitor? You can get one pretty cheap now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

An external monitor for use while at home or in the dorm is an excellent suggestion. I use my MacBook at home with an external wired Apple keyboard and wired mouse plus a Samsung 22" SyncMaster monitor. Works great.

Regards.

Jrg

Reaction score
yeah, for what you are using it for, the mbp is way overkill. its a great computer, but not necessary. also, you can order the macbook without the glossy screen, if that makes a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.
The option for matte/glossy is only available for the Pro.

Oistrakh, I have a MacBook and have used it for 12 hours straight when writing papers for my University classes and have no problem with the screen size.

I would definitely take into account the weight and size of both the MacBook and MacBook Pro when making your decision. Remember, you'll also be carrying around textbooks which can add a lot of weight.

Reaction score
13.3 is the perfect size for my mobile needs. It is light and the screen isnt small as you would think. im coming from a huge 17inch HP to the macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, iPod Video, iPod Nano Chrome 16gig
Hey Guys,
I find myself in the same boat. In a month or so I'm heading off to Uni and am not sure what kind of laptop I'll need. Any help would be appreciated.

The first thing to consider is I have never used a Mac before (aside from 2 weeks work experience a few years back) and I dont really want to be messing around trying to get used to the thing when I'm trying to get used to my new surroundings. Basically, would a Macbook be easy to pick up as a Mac "noob"?

Next is the type of software I need. I am aware that a Macbook usually comes with 'iWork' although Office is available. Having done some research I have heard rather a few undesireable reviews of Office on the mac, but I am worried about iWork's Mac to PC compatibility.

Finally is the question of other software. This is taken from my Uni's website:
"Two edit suites are available .. and will run FCP studio, with Soundtrack Pro, Motion, Shake and Logix plug-ins."
Will this software be 'runable' (for want of a better word) and if not is there any other reccomendations.

Cheers

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hey Guys,
I find myself in the same boat. In a month or so I'm heading off to Uni and am not sure what kind of laptop I'll need. Any help would be appreciated.

The first thing to consider is I have never used a Mac before (aside from 2 weeks work experience a few years back) and I dont really want to be messing around trying to get used to the thing when I'm trying to get used to my new surroundings. Basically, would a Macbook be easy to pick up as a Mac "noob"?

Next is the type of software I need. I am aware that a Macbook usually comes with 'iWork' although Office is available. Having done some research I have heard rather a few undesireable reviews of Office on the mac, but I am worried about iWork's Mac to PC compatibility.

Finally is the question of other software. This is taken from my Uni's website:

Will this software be 'runable' (for want of a better word) and if not is there any other reccomendations.

Cheers

It looks like you are going to be doing sound and motion graphic stuff? I'm not really familiar with those software but I know they are pretty CPU and GPU intensive.

I would opt for the MacBook Pro in your case.

As for your other question about word processing >_>" I dunno cause I use Office in Windows. >_<""

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looks like you are going to be doing sound and motion graphic stuff?

I'm doing a journalism course which includes print, radio and television. That's why I was asking about word processing and final cut.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
I have a mbp for my college work. Love it, I wanted the graphics power. But a macbook would suit your needs. As said earlier an external monitor for outside of the classroom use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.

You can have your computer pre-loaded with iWork, but you have to pay for it as it is not a free program. When I got my MacBook it came with a trial of iWork.

I am still trying to decide between Office/iWork and I have had my MacBook since November. Up until now I have been using NeoOffice, a free alternative.

OP
O
Reaction score
ok, I'm getting a laptop tomorrow and dunno which one... I'm just afraid the tiny macbook glossy screen is going to irritate me forever, considering I haven't used one for hours on end... If I get an external monitor for a macbook, I don't think I would use it much becuase I mostly study in the library not the dorm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In which case you must report back to me and tell how it goes!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.