Apple Mail and Googlemail issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 17" G4, 2GB RAM, Ipod 30GB
Hi,

I am having trouble setting up AppleMail to work with Googlemail. The issues I have been having is getting AppleMail to send messages. Basically, I can receive mail in the inbox but whenever I try to send mail the SMTP server times out. Googlemail is setup with IMAP, that syncs with the iphone - I can send and receive messages with no problems but if I try and do the same with AppleMail then I can not send any messages.

I am using OSX and AppleMail 3.3, is IMAP compatible with AppleMail? If it is how can I get it to work with AppleMail.

PLEASE HELP, it's driving me crazy!!!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 17" G4, 2GB RAM, Ipod 30GB
Thanks for your response but I doubt that that is the case. I have IMAP setup on my iPhone and it is working fine. If the case was different then I dont think googlemail would work on the iPhone at all. so I'm still at a loss - POP is working fine with googlemail - is AppleMail not compatible with IMAP????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
AppleMail is definitely compatible with IMAP....

However, when you have it auto-configure your gmail account, it sets it up as POP...

Follow these steps to set up GoogleMail as IMAP in AppleMail:
http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.