Advice requested re OS version for iBook G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.07 Ghz PowerPC running OS 10.3.9
I have an iBook G4 256MB RAM, running OS X version 10.3.9 My internal optical drive died (yes, I’m sure), and I plan to replace it with an external LaCie drive. I can pick a big clunky one (3 lbs) that will run on OS 10.3.9, or a nice small one (11 oz.) that requires OS 10.4.8.

Any opinions on whether I’m better off staying with 10.3.9 or going to 10.4.8?
Will I have to upgrade other software if I go to 10.4?
If I upgrade OS, any recommendations of best place to buy upgrade?
If I upgrade OS, should I get more RAM first?

Thank you!
Andrea

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
256Megs RAM was not even enough for me with 10.3.9. Kept running out and then things jerked and iTunes paused. First thing I would suggest it upping the RAM as far as you can. Your iBook should take a 1GB bringing it up to 1.25GB. What are the specs on your iBook? G4 but what Ghz?

I would suggest upgrading to Tiger if you can. Panther is getting old and there issues with Safari and other applications on more modern sites on the net for one. As far as where to purchase Tiger, I would check Ebay and be sure it's a Full Install and not some Machine Specific DVD. All your apps should be fine in Tiger. With some though you might want to download a newer version of the application.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks dtravis! My iBook G4 is 1.07Ghz PowerPC.

(Cost is major consideration, so I tend to get by without upgrading when possible. been lucky so far.)

Andrea

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
in my experience, Tiger is slightly more responsive than panther, and still has wide support.

I would upgrade the RAM tho, 1 gig at least (if you are squeamish about ram upgrades come back and people here will help you out)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also another issue with Panther 10.3.9, a friend is having many web pages crash Safari. I checked on an older Mac I keep around with 10.3.9 and had the same issue. It's the older Webkit engine in Safari causing the problems with certain sites and nothing can be done to fix the issue. With Tiger that problem does not happen and like louishen said, it's still getting updated and much more up to date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have an iBook G4 256MB RAM, running OS X version 10.3.9
Any opinions on whether I’m better off staying with 10.3.9 or going to 10.4.8?
Will I have to upgrade other software if I go to 10.4?
If I upgrade OS, any recommendations of best place to buy upgrade?
If I upgrade OS, should I get more RAM first?

Thank you!
Andrea

With that G4 processor, you could run Tiger successfully but as has been pointed out, you will need to go to maximum RAM and it will cost you for a retail Full Install version of Tiger.
I run Panther with very few 'issues' on this old G3 350, but I miss Spotlight and Dictionary functions of Tiger. Panther would continue to work on your iBook, but even better, with more RAM in your iBook. I'd start with that.

When finances permit, grab a Tiger by its tail. :D

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for suggestions- will definitely go for the RAM.
(I generally use Firefox instead of Safari, no crashing with that or other apps so far.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.