1st time Mac owner, 5 problems...

Reaction score
I need some help rather desperately from you good folk I am having some serious issues with my Macbook Pro which is really starting to annoy me, especially as I don't know Tiger or Leopard nearly as well as XP/Vista (where I can sort out the problem myself).

First of all, my problem stems back from Tiger in which my system preferences reset after I turn my Mac off. When I power on again, my dock is reset back to it's default settings (even after a Leopard upgrade today, this problem still persists). My mouse and trackpad settings reset etc.

Secondly, Firefox 3 now refuses to open.

Thirdly, in Safari I keep getting an error message in EVERY new page I navigate to saying that my keychain is corrupted or something to that effect.

Forth, my harddrive is saying that I have around 50gb free despite the fact that I know I have at least 30gb more after clearing out old documents and applications (I was sad enough to count as I deleted one thing after the other).

Lastly, now after upgrading I am getting a constant error message saying that the "installedb" file failed to open and all I can really do to get rid of the message is select "ignore".

ANY help would be appreciated as I am getting quite...anxious about the whole thing. A year running without issues and now all of this at once?

Also I am running 10.5.4 which has not corrected any of these problems.

I am currently abroad, so even though I can just do a fresh install which I am tempted to do right now despite the hour, I don't want to have to resort to that unless necessary. It also leaves me in a grey area as my Office 2008 was a single use installation and I do not know if I can afford to really lose the app by doing a complete wipe and reinstall.

My apologies if any of this seems vague (I will elaborate where necessary). It is just incredibly frustrating to have a myriad of issues all at once when I have not had a single running issue for the past year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
that sounds like there was a corrupt file in tiger that only worsened when you updated. when you do a major update (tiger to leopard) you should always do a clean install. and at this point, that seems like the only good way to get rid of all these problems.

how did you get a single use installation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 2.4Ghz
A clean instal should solve your problems. When I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard i had some issues too. I decided to do a clean install and now everything is OK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.