help with my mac... it broke... i think

Reaction score
Ok i was resently given an old G4 mac. It has panther and was working great. Then i went to go turn it on and all what was on the screen was a floppy disk picture with a question mark. What does that mean? What can i do to fix this? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you have the Panther install CD joshua pop that one and restart holding down 'C'. Then go to utilities and select Disk Utility and run Repair Disk and see if that reslves your problem. If not an erase and install is on the cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sorry you do have troubles. Suggest beg, borrow or buy a set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
oh no. you should always make sure you get the discs when you buy a comp. i'm sure you can check ebay for a panther disc and find one fairly cheap. the only other thing i can suggest is hold alt when you start up your comp and see if the boot drive is there.

Reaction score
The blinking question mark indicates the the computer cannot find the system files it needs to boot. See this site for more info about that. You might try running fsck as well (info also at that site) to see if that can fix the problem.

If you can find/get/buy a copy of Panther, it might be worth it, since the computer was free. If you get a copy, do a complete erase and install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.