Jailbroken iPhone, tips, apps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13 inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I work in Singapore where you can't get iPhones yet and to replace a phone and iPod Touch I lost at the same time, I bought a jailbroken iPhone non 3g, 16GB from the States. It's running on 1.1.4 (I think, not sure how to check)

It's great and I'm very happy.

I'm just wondering if you have any tips on life with a jailbroken iPhone. I'm obviously not updating the firmware when I log onto iTunes.

What about applications, such as sim card contacts import or ringtone converters (I think I found a hack to convert music to ringtone)?

Any recommended applications? If so, where do I get them? I presume I can't use the Apps button on the actual phone?

Any dos and don'ts?

I've also heard rumours that Mac is aiming to send a software update to lock all the phones -- but surely this would only work if you agreed to update firmware? And besides, wherever there is software, there is un-software?

I ask this as I got caught out with region locking on my Macbook (I use VLC to get round this) and there was NOTHING I could do to change this.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Stay away from Kate and Ants. Those 2 apps have been known cause problems... Do your homework before you download an app openSSH is good one you will need . Touchpad pro ,Cydia is good. there are plenty of free games also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.