This Internet Problem Has Plagued Me Before!

O

Ofidian

I am experiencing a major Internet problem that seems to occur a lot. Occasionally, none of my browsers will be able to load any random page (for example, Nintendo) despite repeated tries. This appears.

Safari Can't Find The Server.

Safari can’t open the page “http://www.nintendo.com/community” because it can’t find the server “www.nintendo.com”.

or, in Internet Explorer,

Server Not Found.

How might I alleviate this situation? Just for good looks, :radioacti .

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What version of the OS are you running?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you try the accessing the web site two time in a row, are you able to access the site. If so you might try updating your system to OS 10.3.7. I have read that 10.3.7 resolve some dns problems. Just to ensure you have a good install I would use the Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.7 (97mb).

Reaction score
If you didn't notice, when you quote the sites, the last quotation mark attatches to the URL. When you take it out they work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I agree with rman, if you're not already running 10.3.7 it should most likely fix your problem.

OP
C

code777

yeah 10.3.7 *seemed* to have fixed the Safari issue - i haven't had a "can't find network" since but...

OP
O

Ofidian

I have Dial-up Internet service. All these downloads are huge and when I try to download them, my Download Window states that I will have to wait months online to finish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, you'll need the 10.3.7 update to fix your problem. If you have a friend with broadband, they may be able to download the update for you and burn it to a cd.

OP
O

Ofidian

I have Mac OS X 10.3.3. Can I still download the Mac OS X 10.3.7 file? Also, do I need the Combined Update or just the regular, 26 MB update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll need the combined update since you haven't updated in awhile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yes you can:

The combined update can cause less problems in some cases - but normally the regular update package should work.

But even then it will take a good few hours!

I'd recommend going to a coffee shop (if you have a airport card) and downloading it there - lots of coffee shops offer free or cheap wireless broadband access...

OP
O

Ofidian

Problem: I have a 50-lb. eMac. Can't exactly go to a coffee shop without a luggage cart.

What specific component of the Combined is necessary? What makes it different from the Basic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Ofidian said:
Problem: I have a 50-lb. eMac. Can't exactly go to a coffee shop without a luggage cart.

What specific component of the Combined is necessary? What makes it different from the Basic?

The first iMac at least had a handle to take it for a walk... :cool:

The combined update package actually contains all changes that were made since the original Panther release, 10.3.
The normal update updates only those files that have changed, that's why it's a lot smaller (for 10.3.7, I think it was 12MB, opposed to 97MB for the Combo).
As the combined update is more complete, it might repair any files that do not exactly work as they should anymore. That's why the combined update is the better choice, but it's not really a must.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I always use the combo update to reduce problems. Like Avalon said you don't have too. For me it give me that warm and fuzzy feeling, because I know that I did not miss anything. lol :)

OP
D

Desolate One

rman said:
I always use the combo update to reduce problems. Like Avalon said you don't have too. For me it give me that warm and fuzzy feeling, because I know that I did not miss anything. lol :)

Question on the combined update- I'm not certain I've gone through all the Panther updates since my iBook acquisition has been quite recent. I've done the 10.3.6 and 10.3.7 updates, would it hurt to download the 10.3.7 combined update and run it since I'm already @ 10.3.7?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would not hurt you if you ran the combo update. If you are at the same level the combo update may update something that is missed by the regular update.

OP
O

Ofidian

It says that the Hard Drive is not an acceptable volume for installing the update that I downloaded, the basic or "delta" update if I remember correctly. There are no other volumes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.