• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Quick Time pro 7 - Black screen with sound

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, White, 1.8GHz Power PC
Hi there

I'm having a few problems with some movies in QuickTime, I think it might be a codec problem but I have no idea where to start!

At home, our colleague downloaded some movies from our video camera, a Panasonic, then opened them in her Final Cut Pro and then exported them as .mov files which she was then able to open in iMovie 08 and Quick Time Pro. Yet when we open these movies in the office, we cannot open them in iMovie 08 and in QuickTime Pro 7 we just get a black screen and the sound. These films have the following codecs: DVC Pro HD, Integer (Little Endian) and Timecode. Could it be that we need to download a codec to make them work in our office?

Many thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Probably is a codec problem - try opening the videos in VLC. There should be a menu option (probably COMMAND+I) that gives you information on the audio and video streams.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, White, 1.8GHz Power PC
OK, thanks for that. I'll let you know how we get on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Dual-Core
If you don't have Quicktime Pro at the office you don't have the DVCPro HD codec, it's a codec problem. You need to take it home and export it with another codec or upgrade to QT Pro at the office. VLC might still open it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.