Not charging and magsafe LED not coming on

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just joined here to ask the question, hope that's OK, the Mac is my wifes, not mine, last night the LED went off on the magsafe, the laptop is no longer being charged either. I tried unplugging the power lead and putting it in a different power socket and the LED came back on, assuming it was the plug I went to bed, I've come down this morning and the LED is off again and it's not charging?

Any ideas?
will a new power lead solve the problem?

she currently has no computer as it's not charging and the battery's now run out

thanks in advance for any help/ideas

OP
M
Reaction score
I just nipped home and got the bit that's just a plug not a lead and that didn't work either.
I also tried taking out the battery and just having the mains plugged in but that didn't work either

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
take it to an apple store near you. you can book an appointment with a Genius online. You can then test it with a new power adapter.

http://www.apple.com/retail/

They should be able to give you a solution, or if not, fix it for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i know this may sound silly, but i'm having the same problem, and being out of warranty the only way i can find to fix it, is to unplug it and plug it in, over and over, until the led comes on and changes orange. it most often works if the macbook is closed (asleep, but not off). sometimes the led will turn off after this, but if you look in the menu bar, it's still charging, if not, try again.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK, last night I plugged it in but nothing happened, I left it, 10 minutes later the LED is on and it was charging, as it was on the kitchen top and time for tea I moved the wire backwards and it went off, moving the wire around I got the LED to come on for a fraction of a second so I'm certain the cable is knackered and have ordered another one from eBay (less than half the price of a new one from anywhere near me (£70!! - $140)

OP
M
Reaction score
new power supply just turned up, plugged it in, the LED came on briefly then went straight off

any ideas?

Reaction score
fix

1) Power down your mac. 2) Take out the battery. 3) Unplug magsafe from the mac. 4) Hold down the power button for 5 seconds. 5) Plug the magsafe to the mac. 6) Wait for the indicator to go green. 7) Put the battery back. 8) Turn on the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
If you click on the top right battery icon, are there any additional messages? Something indicating a worn out battery, or to replace soon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
With a problem such as yours you need substitute parts to swap out, if you had another power adapter you would have saved the cost of the eBay purchase. The next most likely failing item would be the magsafe board, and that can't be replaced without removing the logic board. Your best bet would be to take it into one of Leeds 2 Apple Authorised Service Providers, either KRCS or Clockwork.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.