Why everyone should own an eMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Reasons why every apple lover should own an eMac:
-They're cheap to buy. ($150 gets you a 700MHz eMac with 1GB of RAM)
-40 gigabites holds a ton of music.
-The speakers sound awesome when you're playing music or movies.
-They are RELIABLE. I cannot stress that ENOUGH. Every time I need something done, I can get it done on here.
-They have a big screen
-The apple chime sounds sweet on this computer
-Cmon, it's an all in one computer, how can you resist?
-You can put leopard on it.
-You can put tons of stickers on it
-It's easy to go wireless with it
-It's easy to transport if you're moving
-There's extra USB ports on the keyboard
-It even has an integrated mic
-It goes quite fast surfing the web
-You can play with the CD flap as you're waiting for an IM.
-Why wouldn't you want one?
I really wish it was 1.42 GHz though =\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
'Cos they is old, have leaking capacitors and have serious memory and graphics upgrade limitations. Good for kindergarten and lower classes at Primary School however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
'Cos they is old, have leaking capacitors and have serious memory and graphics upgrade limitations. Good for kindergarten and lower classes at Primary School however.

Oh c'mon Harry, don't be a square (both you and I are old enough to know what that means too!!! :D). Your response is demeaning to a fine computer.

I love the eMac, it was built like a brick outhouse to withstand abuse/misuse by school students, and has come through it with flying colours ...EXCEPT... for the capacitor problem - which I have yet to experience. I am in almost complete unison with xj6jaguar about eMacs (I mean, a man who drives a quality car like that has to know what he's talking about, right?) ;D

My only beefs with the eMac thus far are that it has no carry handle like the old iMacs, and it is a right expletive to work in/on. All that high-quality stuff jammed into a tight space.

And 11/10 points to xj6 for posting this thread, even if cwa has moved it to a different forum. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

How could you be so cruel? D;

As for the eMac... I suppose I'm more of a mobile person at the moment, but I could use a fun paperweight with capacitor problems when the price drops below $20. :D

hughvane: I love using that word in that context. It throws people off at times :p

Reaction score
-You can play with the CD flap as you're waiting for an IM.

DUDE!!!! that's my favourie activity. I do it with my powermac too, but its just not the same.

and this is better than the crap dells that they always make you use. At most public schools they used to use these crap prosys computers, which were just terrible, then they upgraded to crap dells to appease parents and stuff, bt only bought like 2 per school, so we allrush to the computer lab to get one of the two 150$ dells instead of the 10 year old prosys comps, except the one rich kid who brought a macbook (but he later has his stolen by some guy with a knife).

Now, my old school was rich because of some messed up funding situation and they'ce used macs for a long time. They went from g3 powermacs, g3 all-in-one, g3 imacs to emacs. The emacs, to this day, are the best computers they've ever put in a public school.

random garble, but they are great for what they're made for!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.4.11 2.16 Intel 1GB Macbook
Emacs!!!

You won't believe this, but I bought 6 eMacs today from a university for $50 total! 1.42 , 1 gB, DVD burn. I wiped and reloaded all the new versions, office, etc and these puppies are like new! Came with perfect mice, keyboards, one even has the clear stand. I am in Mac heaven tonight! Will keep 2 for my four and two year old daughters, 1 for father-in law, niece, brother-in-law. I could probably sell the last one and make some good money. I guess I will give it to a friend. I still can't believe that I got these things so cheap, the auction site didn't list these things properly. Said "6 emacs- no monitor, keyboard, mice, hd has been erased or destroyed -as is". These things were in perfect condition with everything included. I just had to boast about my great purchase to someone who would understand! Just curious - What would one of these computers be worth?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not all EMacs have leaking caps. Just like all Asus, MSI, ABit boards did not either but I ran into a LOT of MSI's from one period and some ABits where all the caps were tented and leaking. It's always been easy for me to Re-Cap a board with that issue.

I always wanted an EMac and hopefully someday I will get one when I have some extra $$$ and find a good deal. I want a 1.42Ghz if I can get one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
never had one but they seem like decent machines for the money...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You won't believe this, but I bought 6 eMacs today from a university for $50 total! 1.42... Just curious - What would one of these computers be worth?

Congratulations on your bonanza. You are indeed a fortunate person.

I've learned that prices world wide are comparable. An example on which I'm keeping an eye - a 1.25 Ghz eMac, hardly used, original OS disks included, some extra software, k'board. mouse etc, in other words, a fully-operating eMac in top condition, is going for US$245. However, with a supply and demand factor added in, its equivalent price in the US would probably be $175 - $200. The 1.42 MHz factor could make your eMacs a good sale prospect.

xj6jaguar may well be interested, but then there's the packaging and transport problem from TN to FL.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You won't believe this, but I bought 6 eMacs today from a university for $50 total! 1.42 , 1 gB, DVD burn. I wiped and reloaded all the new versions, office, etc and these puppies are like new! Came with perfect mice, keyboards, one even has the clear stand. I am in Mac heaven tonight! Will keep 2 for my four and two year old daughters, 1 for father-in law, niece, brother-in-law. I could probably sell the last one and make some good money. I guess I will give it to a friend. I still can't believe that I got these things so cheap, the auction site didn't list these things properly. Said "6 emacs- no monitor, keyboard, mice, hd has been erased or destroyed -as is". These things were in perfect condition with everything included. I just had to boast about my great purchase to someone who would understand! Just curious - What would one of these computers be worth?

Just out of curiosity, did you purchase them to resell them? If so, I'd be really interested in one if you happen to put them out on eBay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.4.11 2.16 Intel 1GB Macbook
No, just to have a home computer for my girls. Didn't know they would be so good and in working order. Thought maybe I could salvage a good one or two. Trying to see how many family members need one before I sell any, but I will check back on here if anyone is interested.

eMac Computer – Operating System is Mac OS X Version 10.4.11

Processor - 1.42 GHz Power PC G4

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Of course I'm interested :D. I'm sending you a PM lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.