Ram issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2019 16" 2.4 i9 32GB 2TB SSD AMD 5500 8GB
I got a ram upgrade set from Crucial. I got 2x2GB. I just got to install it today. I got both pieces in the computer and then it wouldn't turn on. The white light on the open button just flashed blink-blink-blink...........blink-blink-blink again and again.

I opened the case back up thinking that they weren't installed correctly. I switched them between the two sockets and tried to start the computer. It turned on. I then went into About this Mac and it showed 4GB and both chips were OK.

I opened Firefox. It was slow. I opened word. It is OK. Then I opened Windows Vista (Parallels). It froze! I have never ever had it freeze. No commands would let me unfreeze. I had to hold down the power key and restart it. It wouldn't restart...just blink-blink-blink.

So I opened it back up and switched out one of the ram modules for my old 1GB card. Turn it back on and it worked fine with 3GB. Windows worked fine.

I then put the other 2GB back in and turned it on. It came on and worked. I then inserted the Apple Hardware Test CD. It came back clean on two 'quick' tests. I then asked it to do a full 'advanced' test. It tested for about a minute, then crashed. blink-blink-blink........... Wouldn't restart until I put back in the 1GB chip.

I'm thinking that only one ram module is bad. But it isn't bad all the time?

If I do an exchange with Crucial I think they are going to try to charge me (20% restocking) because a quick inspection of that chip would come back clean?

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
mini1,

I wouldn't hesitate to call Crucial and ask for an exchange. Explain to them exactly what happened and they should certainly agree to send you back a new set. Make sure you verify with them that there will be no re-stocking fee. Generally, re-stocking fees are for returned items when you ask for your money back.

If they should test and find either stick good, they may return it with another stick for the bad one, but I suspect they would just replace both.

Noel

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2019 16" 2.4 i9 32GB 2TB SSD AMD 5500 8GB
They are going to do an exchange for me. Hopefully the new set will work correctly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
mini1,

Great! Let us know how it goes when you get the new set.

Nel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.