Photoshop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 14" 1.42GHz 512MB Ram
Hello as you can tell by my post count, and the specs on my computer, i am very new to the whole Mac computer thing.

I recently recieved an old G3 imac computer from a friend, and i've started messing around with it and have fallen in love with the OS, which is 8.1 i believe.

So anyway my question was, do you think my mac would be able to run photoshop?

Here's the specs incase i messed up on my profile
G3 iMac
233mhz
96mb ram
4 gig harddrive (3.3 available)
I dont know what any of the other specs you might need to be able to tell so just ask and I can find out.

I dont know what the current version of Photoshop is for the Mac but i'm assuming whatever the highest is would be best.
If it is not able to handle it do you know of any version that would work for it?
Thank you in advance for all your replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Oh, no idea...

You probably won't be able to use the latest version since I believe that requires a newer operating system...

Anyone know if he can install panther on that machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I think photoshop 5 might run well on it, though you need more ram, and Id suggest getting os x if you can, then you could run photoshop cs. but I think either photoshop 3 or 5 are os 8 compatible. so basically, it would run slowly at your current specs, but if you add mor ram, itd definitely run more smoothly.

OP
doomzmaster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any idea on how much ram you think would be good enough, and what brand you recommend?

C

CaptainMack

you will be able to run photoshop on it, i would suggest more ram also. maybe 128
i also think you can install os x on it. like 10.2 or just 10

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, panther will run on it, I recently installed panther on the same model, the one I installed it on had 320 mb of ram, and it runs fairly well, even runs photoshop CS better than I thought it would.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
My college has G3 iMacs with OS 9.2 and they run Photoshop 4 (rather poorly for larger images). If you're only going to be using photoshop to mess around with images (I.E. not serious use) then I would advise you find a less intensive program. If you really need it for work etc. then buy a new computer.

OP
doomzmaster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont know you'd have to really pry me away from my beloved photoshop. Is there any other programs you would recommend that are similar to photoshop but take less power to run?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
By the way, if you still care, Photoshop 5 is DEFINITELY OS 8.1 compatible. My mother is a video producer (weddings, graduations, etc) and has always been a Mac fan. She just recently stopped using her old not-even-G3 computer (Powermac 9600 I believe), and it ran 5.0 seamlessly. She is STILL bitter about switching to PCs for work (she did it for Video Toaster 3 and for the fact that SCSI doesn't come standard on Macs anymore). Honestly, though. getting a new computer might just be a better investment. If you're paying for Photoshop and possibly even a new operating system to run it on, you might as well be paying for a new computer. You can buy a G4 eMac on Apple.com (refurbished) for 650. That's roughly the list price of Photoshop CS anyway.

Reaction score
Don't you need atleast 8GB of disk space to use panther? I thought i heard that some where. Also i think that you would need alot more ram. Like atleast 256? Just guessing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
shaun89 said:
Don't you need atleast 8GB of disk space to use panther? I thought i heard that some where. Also i think that you would need alot more ram. Like atleast 256? Just guessing.
I think you need at least that, the os is about 2.5 gigs, and then you have some space left and your mac will slow down a little if the drive is more than 80% full,
which will happen very fast with a small hd.

OP
doomzmaster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well actually I already have Photoshop which is why I didnt want to have to get a new computer. I got photoshop from a friend so i only paid a hundred bucks for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.