Can't Boot G4 in Target Disk Mode

Reaction score
I recently bought a new iMac and am trying to migrate files, applications, etc. from a G4 Power PC running Tiger.

The problem is that my G4 will not boot in Target Disk Mode!

I've tried booting holding T and it just boots up as normal. I've tried going into System Preferences>Startup Disk and it does not show me the option to click to restart in Target Disk Mode.

Possible issues:

* There are two hard drives on the computer. Both have Tiger installed. I've tried rebooting from each hard drive and neither gives the "startup in target disk mode" option under system preferences. The smaller drive was designated as the slave drive, even though I imagine it is the drive that came with the computer originally (i bought it used).

* I recently zeroed the data on that smaller hard drives to do a clean install of OS 10.4. Could I have somehow erased the ability to run in target disk mode?

If anyone has any insight, it is much appreciated.

Also, is there any other way to migrate data from this G4 besides firewire via target disk mode?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
I hope your "T" key isn't broken. Are you holding the "T" key right after the startup chime? Macs are picky about when you begin holding it down - doesn't work if you hold it too soon or too late. You might also try zapping the PRAM just in case Target mode is disabled (hold Apple+Option+P+R during startup, right after the chime).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.