quicktime problems. new mac user

Reaction score
i have mac os x 10.3.9 on a g3 ibook. i downloaded and installed VLC to watch movies, but i kept getting "macosx: QT doesn't support any appropriate chroma" messages whenever i played any movie. i did a search online and determined that i needed to reinstall quicktime. i had 7.5 installed, i thought i uninstalled programs by dragging them from the applications to the trash, so i did that but now i cant install 7.5 because it says that its not the right version for my computer, and i cant install an earlier version because the hd is dimmed because there is a newer version on my computer.

i have no idea what to do. i want to completely uninstall quicktime and start over but i cannot figure out what im doing. any help is appreciated. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You need Perian, but it's not available for 10.3.9 unfortunately. And Quicktime 7.5 does work with Panther. To uninstall something completely, use AppClean or CleanApp. But check they work with Panther, or Google for some other Uninstaller prog.

When you want to watch a QT movie, R-click its icon and choose Open With, and then select VLC. Or Get Info for the movie file and select Open With > VLC. Trouble is, the old G3 processor doesn't handle movies all that well unless you've quit all other applications and have plenty of RAM.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Moved to more appropriate forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.