• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

If you could not afford a mac...

Reaction score
Hello all,

I had posted sometime ago about water falling on my macbook. Sad story...I sent it to apple and as soon as they opened it water was coming out of it, insides were totally damaged.

So, I need a new machine. I can't afford another mac. So my question is, if you could not afford a mac what kind of laptop would you get?

Michelle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Everyone will have their opinion (rightfully so), but I have had great luck with the Sony VAIO's. They have came down in price the last few years to really compete with all the others.

We have had like four of them and never had a single problem. Great displays. Some crappy software loaded at the factory, but they will all have that to some degree. Good luck with whatever you buy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I've got a Vaio desktop and I will second them, it has been a great computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
Well if you can't afford a mac (i'm assuming even a regular macbook) then you probably cant get a vaio. I'd suggest an HP from bestbuy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
After owning and using various Dell laptops over the years before finally getting a MacBook......I'd save until I could afford another Mac. I think I'd regret getting something else just for the sake of having a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
For the cost of a Vaio, I'd rather get another mac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I love the design of the Dell XPS M1330 and it's bigger brother, the XPS M1530. Both of which can be had for a few hundred less than a standard Macbook, depending on configuration. They are very well made machines and can be configured with a huge range of options to suit just about any budget. The only problem would be that you're pretty much stuck with Vista at this point, although I'm sure you could probably downgrade to XP or install Ubuntu.

The VAIOs are nice machines, but you will pay a premium for the Sony name. Also, I've found in my dealings with Sony that replacement parts can be very hard to come by should you ever need to service the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Umm, what about a second-hand Macbook? I can only dream of buying a new Mac computer, so it's always 2-hand for me. The only lemon I ever bought was ... an HP! Stick with Mac, you won't regret it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Umm, what about a second-hand Macbook? I can only dream of buying a new Mac computer, so it's always 2-hand for me. The only lemon I ever bought was ... an HP! Stick with Mac, you won't regret it.

Excellent point - and seeing as how Apple has a ton of refurbished models out there, it might be worth looking into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
For the amount you're going to spend on a stupid PC (Sorry, I hate PCs...:x), you could get a pre-owned Macbook, or powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
Get an ordinary laptop. Run Linux, thats what I'd do.

Reaction score
sell all the crap around your house you dont use anymore. thats what i did, i had a stash of 40 gas masks i had from a yard sale a while back, needless to say i got $500 for them. then i also sold my iphone, yea sad huh? but i got $650 for it. Then i borrowed the rest from my boss, and hes taking $100 a week out of my pay till its payed off. only bad part about that is i can get called in at any time now.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score

that was my first thought wen i read the OP.

what's the imperative - new or mac?
if new, get a cheap HP that you'll "live with" until you either want a mac or a more powerful wintel machine.
if mac, buy a gently used mac and assume that you may need to replace some of the consumables (battery, hard drive).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
I'd either do without long enough to get a second-hand MacBook, or, if I just HAD to have a PC immediately, I'd pick up an Asus EeePC for around $300-$400 and then save towards another Mac.

At this point, I can't imagine not using OS X as my primary OS, but I'd make due with Linux on the EeePC for a few months to get me through the primary tasks. You could later sell the EeePC and pick up a Mac. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thank's for all the replies. I may look in to the refurb macbooks, if not I may save up for another one. I need one for work, but I could wing it for a while longer without one.

The number one thing I love about mac is the security and thats what keeps me coming back.

Thanks all

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz/200gb/2gb/15.4"+ Tons of Windows PC's
Don't forget to sell your water damaged macbook. You can still make $300+ off it if you sell it on eBay, MacForums, or Craigslist. That would help you get another macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3 White - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HDD
I would die if my mac ever died or was damaged.

Like seriously.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.