iMac RAM

N

nko

First off, I'm a recent switcher. My dad offered to buy new computers for the whole family, since we were all in need of a major boost in tech specs. I asked for a Mac, feeling that in Windows, I couldn't get anything done without running in to some annoying little thing that wasn't supposed to be that way (which I'm a stiiiickler about!), and in Linux, I was having fun, but not getting much real-world stuff done. I thought maybe a Mac would help me get stuff done (and if nothing else... I could just install Linux on it). :innocent:

But it's been a month and a week, and I think it's made a good sized dent in my productivity problem. I get the impression that Macs aren't all the zealots crack them up to be (as I expected), but are definitely worth their price. Ya get what you pay for, be it Mac or Windows (Linux kinda doesn't follow the same road, so yeah:)).

If I've got a question, it'd be this; I've got 256 MB / RAM in this iMac. Would 512 be that much better? I've heard everywhere that maxing out on RAM is the thing to do... but that's kinda lame. I mean, I remember when 64 MB was a lot, and OSes, while heavily beefed up since then, aren't THAT much thicker, I think! I'm looking for an answer beyond, "if you've got the cash, go for it for sure," but more something along the lines of benchmarks.

Also, I just popped the case open on this thing. I see one RAM stick. Is that all 256 MB right there? And what kind of RAM is that, if I were to upgrade? I've got some PC133's layin' around. And while we're under the hood... it's that little black heatsink lookin' thing covering my CPU? And what's that card... thing? It's the other big rectangle in the middle of the board, kind of protruding, implying it's just plugged in to the main board. It's got a wire coming out of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I can't speak to the hardware since I don't have an iMac, but I can tell you that you'll notice a big difference in OS X by increasing the RAM to at least 512. 256 is the absolute minimum I would recommend and it will be a little sluggish, especially with multiple apps open. More RAM = Better performance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
need some info to completely help you out...

what model iMac is it? (go to Apple Menu>>About This Mac). i need the speed. im assuming its a Flat Screen iMac

i think this is what you were talking about with the wire hanging. installing an airportcard in your iMac

apple airport

OP
N

nko

I think the Airport card is the PC card on the very bottom, isn't it? What I'm looking at is on the MB. Could that maybe be a PC card adaptor that just kind of wraps its way around to the bottom, where the Airport card is?

And my specs can be found at the left, I believe :). It's the cheapest iMac currently available at apple.com;

15" Flat Panel
G4 800 MHz
256 MB RAM (Don't know what kind for sure)
60 GB HD
Airport Card
One of those lower end GeFORCE2 MX graphics cards w/32 MB RAM
CD-RW / DVD-ROM
She's nice, she's silent, she's got ****-decent speed. Just wondering how much the RAM part is slowing me down :).

OP
N

nko

Wow! Opening the System Profiler brings the whole machine to a crawl! If it helps, it's an iMac 2.1 . SDRAM.... that's what it's telling me I've got. Which one is that? RDRAM is the expensive RAMBUS stuff, right? I've got a P4 somewhere in this house that uses RAMBUS. It's expeeensive! Guess that's kind of irrelevant, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
you can not mix and match different rams. your ram is the cheapest available. if i was getting an iMac or eMac i would go no less then 512 ram

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.