Which Mac for video editing?

Reaction score
Hello everybody.

I have a few questions so I will make this as short as possible...

I am in the midst of starting up a production company. Call it a pipe dream but hey, I at least have passion...

Ok I will be doing a bunch of video editing, I was at best buy and goofed with many computers and was completely impressed with the mac..

So here is my question, can you buy a macbook and then an external hadr drive to work on...

Or better yet, what would you go for, at least to begin with and I need to be portable...

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
If you are serious about video editing and it has to be portable...the Macbook Pro is the only way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I would normally say to get a MacBok Pro, but with the problems involving the GeForce 8600Ms, I'd recommend either buying a computer from a different manufacturer, settling for the MacBook or waiting until the next MacBook Pro revision.

And to answer your first question, yes you can use an external hard drive with your MacBook and do all your work on there.

OP
L
Reaction score
Im at a jump off point... I intend to pick up a full on mac in the future as my finances allow

So go with the macbook, what options are out there for external hard drive

also as far as RAM upgrades etc, what should I be looking at

Thank you again for your help

Reaction score
You can use any external hard drive, even if it says its PC only you can easily reformat it on the Mac.

Max the RAM to 4GB yourself from Crucial or somewhere, it's really easy and quite cheap (So long as you don't buy it preinstalled by Apple that is!)

OP
L
Reaction score
Max the RAM to 4GB yourself from Crucial or somewhere, it's really easy and quite cheap (So long as you don't buy it preinstalled by Apple that is!)

How do I do that?

So I could save some front end cash by buying the 1 gig then drop in a 4 gig?

also will that void any warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015 15", Powerbook G4 17" 2004
How do I do that?

So I could save some front end cash by buying the 1 gig then drop in a 4 gig?

also will that void any warranty?

Nah upgrading the ram won't void it.

Reaction score
If you are serious about video editing and it has to be portable...the Macbook Pro is the only way to go.

I have to echo this sentiment; however, if you are just getting started and don't have your clients in place, I would not spend any more money than necessary. Avoid debt!

Sure the MBPro is a better tool for this purpose, but it is only a BETTER tool, not the ONLY tool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I'd recommend getting your RAM from Newegg instead of Crucial. They offer a wider selection of RAM and always have something that costs less than what Crucial sells. On top of this, they have an excellent return/exchange policy should your RAM be DOA or something. Also, don't buy into the idea of "Mac RAM." The only difference between Mac RAM and other RAM is the extra money sellers trick you into paying for the exact same stick they sell for us in any other computer. Just make sure the specs on the RAM match what your computer uses, and you should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
search youtube for macbook/pro ram upgrades to see how you do it, its dead simple!

Reaction score
If I might chip in my two cents...

I'm currently working for a newly started production company, but I've been editing on Mac's for a while now.

Portable:

MacBook: If you don't want to spend a whole lot of money, go with a MacBook. I had and older Black MacBook a while back, 2 Gigs of RAM. It ran Final Cut Studio pretty well, at least well enough to keep up.

MacBook Pro: If you need to stay portable and money isn't much of an issue, go with the Pro. It's got plenty of power to run just about every program in Final Cut Studio 2. I currently have a MacBook Pro with 4 Gigs of RAM. Runs Final Cut Pro, Colors, Soundtrack, DVD Studio Pro, and After Effects pretty well. Gets a little warm at times though, so keep that in mind.

Desktops:

Mac Mini: If you have limited money, and don't mind non-portability, the mini would be best. I know it may seem to small or not powerful enough, but I was editing on them back when they were G4's! I'm sure it would be able to run Final Cut Express quite well, and should handle Pro, but may not be able to handle the likes of Motion or After Effects very well. It would probably be most comparable to a MacBook in terms of power.

iMac: If you prefer a desktop, but can't spend the big bucks for a Mac Pro, the iMac would suit you. It's nice and compact, and the 24" has quite the screen real estate. I ran Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio on one of these for a while and it help up like a champ. You can always add a second monitor if need be with a special adapter from Apple. I'd compare best to the MacBook Pro in terms of power.

Mac Pro: If money's not an issue, go for a Mac Pro. Most powerful Mac you can get. Plenty of room for expansion and it should be able to handle about any program you throw at it!

For all of the above computers, the more RAM the better. I'd suggest, like others have suggested, getting your RAM from NewEgg or Crucial, as you'll save a lot more getting it there and installing it yourself than you would if you ordered direct from Apple. If you get a Mac Pro you can also upgrade/add graphics cards and more hard drives (again I'd suggest NewEgg).

If you ever have any questions, feel free to PM me.

-Adam

Reaction score
I'd recommend getting your RAM from Newegg instead of Crucial. They offer a wider selection of RAM and always have something that costs less than what Crucial sells. On top of this, they have an excellent return/exchange policy should your RAM be DOA or something. Also, don't buy into the idea of "Mac RAM." The only difference between Mac RAM and other RAM is the extra money sellers trick you into paying for the exact same stick they sell for us in any other computer. Just make sure the specs on the RAM match what your computer uses, and you should be fine.

Unless I'm mistaken, Newegg only ship in the USA so it's not much good for the rest of us.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.