white screen on startup. 24" imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
a friends imac keeps freezing on boot up. she has had the mac at the apple store 3 times in one month to reinstall leopard. :(

this is still a problem. she has 35,000+ pics in iphoto. is this the problem?

reinstalling has not helped. fixing permissions is not helping.

any ideas on whats going on and how to fix?

techtool is not reporting any issues or problems.

I googled it, and I see lots of brief info about white screens, but nothing on anyone fixing successfully... so far I see no mention of it on apples site. seems to be a wide spread problem from what I can see so far.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no one has the white screen on bootup yet? thats a good thing I guess. :)

I got to my friends imac this afternoon.... could not boot from internal HD, dvd, safe mode... could not boot period. Was stuck on the white screen...

Until I unplugged the external western digital 500 GB My book home edition drive... then the mac booted fine from the internal HD.

could THIS external drive be the problem? It's connected via firewire.... all worked fine when we unplugged this.

the lady at the apple store said to unplug this when starting up.... the mac could be thinking it's a bootable drive and when it cant boot it, everything freezes on white screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggested this on Mac forums some weeks ago and got whacked by certain parties with reputation points reduced lol. Have seen exactly this issue before and disconnecting the firewire external drive does seem to work.

She may well be correct about the confusing of the bootable drives.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so could it be a firewire issue, or a driver issue with the drive?

thanks for any insight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.