HELP...using a mac to play multiroom audio

Reaction score
Hi there

Im wondering if there is a way to use a mac to play different music in different rooms at the same time.
classical in room 1
pop in room 2
rock in room 3 etc......

Im guessing a multi output soundcard (motu). But can you do something like play mulitple instances of itunes and set each one to a different output. Or is there an alt app that does this already.

Need a solution......anybody got any ideas

Reaction score
Hi, yes you'd want to get a copy of detour. Have a look at http://www.rogueamoeba.com/detour/legacy/ .

If you get a good sound card, the driver should provide the functionality without this app however. Multiple instances of itunes is very possible, but may not be the best solution.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks Henvan

I checked out detour... seems to have been discontinued after 10.4 ( should be alright though). And seems great for assigning an apps output channel especially if I have it rigged to the motu soundcard. But would this mean I have to have four different software music players running on my mac at the same time in order to play different music in different rooms. Is there a a way of doing this in one app, playing four playlists at the same time and assigning each one through detour?
or some alternative..... thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.