Colour Faults in my iBook screen!

A

alf

Hi, I am facing a problem here with my 3 weeks old iBook screen. The problem is there are colour faults with the LCD screen (random). When I open iPhoto to view photos and iMovie to edit movie, there seems to be some color fault pixel (in red) appears randomly. Sometimes it even appear when I view my desktop.

Does anyone facing the some problem?

The spec of my iBook that I use:
1.2GHz PowerPC G4
256MB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM
12.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA
Model M9623LL/A
1024 * 768 screen resolution

and there is no other electrical devices around my iBook.

Appreciate for any reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
have you tried calibrating your monitor?also, I think the ibooks screen adjusts to lighting,
this may be part of the problem, also, after calibrating your display, go into utilities folder and open colorsync utility, under preferences tab/pane, make sure the rgb is set to adobe rgb 1998 or calibrated display, itll be called calibrated ibook disply or something like that.
to calibrate, open system preferences, click display, click the color tab, click calibrate. some displays have a configure button also presesnt that allows you to adjust for ambient light and black points and the like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
o, also, in display preferences, what is your colors set to? millions, thousands, etc?

OP
A

alf

It's set to millions.

I will try to test with your method when I reach home and will let you know.
Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible that the problem is cause by the graphics card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
i think what you are seeing is called a "dead pixel".

Basically it's a pixel that isn't working properly and stays red as a result.
Sometimes you can reactivate them by gently rubbing the appropriate spot on your screen...

You probably can't even see it most of the time though...

Unfortunately you won't be able to return your iBook, since any screen with less than 3 dead pixels is deemed to be "in working order" by apple.

OP
A

alf

So meaning it's cause by the lcd screen?
My lcd screen most of the time have more 100 dead pixels when I view photos/movie.

I will bring it back to the store and ask for a check.

I am thinking how I shall response if they insist that it's a software problem or low memory problem. Shall I accept it?

OP
G

General_K

If what you're seeing is truly dead or "stuck" pixels, that is a defect. It isn't something caused by low memory, or software problems. If your 3 week old 'book has that serious a problem, Apple should (I would hope) give you a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
General_K said:
If what you're seeing is truly dead or "stuck" pixels, that is a defect. It isn't something caused by low memory, or software problems. If your 3 week old 'book has that serious a problem, Apple should (I would hope) give you a new one.
Woah, more than 100 dead pixels?

Well that doesn't sound right either...

Can you explain exactly what you are doing/opening when you see these faults?
What kind of movies are you watching? Lots of movies on the internet are low quality and have image errors. These are not dead pixels though, just symptoms of bad compression of the movie.

Close all apps and set your desktop background to plain white. See if you see any errors then. If you don't - it's most likely NOT an LCD issue.

It COULD however be related to your graphics card...

OP
A

alf

Had sent my iBook to applecare service center, I manage to show them the problem with iPhoto. When I just boot up my iBook, the problem cannot be seen but after 10 minutes, the problem started to show on the lcd screen. I found that when the iBook had been use for longer time, more color fault pixel will be shown on the screen. The staff told me that not dead pixel but might be some other problem. I need to leave my iBook for them to check properly. Unfortunately, 1 to 1 exchange only applicable within 3 days. I am quite unhappy and disappointed with apple actually because this is my first mac and within 3 weeks already got such a big problem.

OP
A

alf

Just got back my iBook on Monday and I tested it last night, the problem is still there, meaning it's not being solved, I need to send it back to apple for repair again. Furthermore, the front cover got lots of scratches...feel very sad.

I am too disappointed, just 3 weeks time, need 2nd repair.

I want to exchange a new one but according to them, 1 to 1 exchange is only valid within 3 days from date of purchase. Can anyone tell me where to complain such a problem so they will take care of it? I am from Malaysia

Thanks.

OP
A

alf

I am being so upset now, after taken it back from AppleCare (2nd service), they still can't detect the problem and the technician said they can only change the motherboard for me if the red pixel is shown on normal window other than photos. They said, it's the photo's quality but not hardware. I think that it's an unacceptable reason because it's not only shown on a particular photo but on some other photos as well. Plus, the red pixel is not static, it might occur on some other places on the same photos if view later. You will notice that some of the red pixels are blinking.

I manage to use my video cam to capture those red pixel when it shown on my iBook screen. If anyone would like to do me a favor to check it for me whether it shows on your iBook screen, I really appreciate for your help. Please download the original image and video files from http://69.50.188.146/~stalk/37187_poster405_1.jpg and http://69.50.188.146/~stalk/Test3.zip. I have more video files if you would like to investigate further, just pm me.

A simple question, will you accept your laptop if the manufacturer change the lcd screen and motherboard of your 3 weeks old iBook? I hope apple will replace my defective iBook with a new unit.

Sorry if I sound rude but I am really disappointed here.

OP
N

ngiacintop

Same problem with red pixels appearing and disappearing on the screen

Hi, Alf!

I bought an iBook G4 just before Christmas in the US and two weeks ago I realized that I have colour faults on the screen while seeing photos and videos, in particular red pixels. These are not LCD broken pixels, because they depend on the images and not on the position on the LCD. Sometimes they blink quite slowly (single pixels) or faster when you see a lot of them. It is a very annoying feature.

I didn't realize it very soon because I use the computer essentially for physic's analyses.

I also use Gnome as graphical interface and the result is the same.

I updated the graphic card firmware, but it didn't work.

I'm bringing my computer to AppleCare in the next days (in Italy).

Bye,

Giacinto

alf said:
I am being so upset now, after taken it back from AppleCare (2nd service), they still can't detect the problem and the technician said they can only change the motherboard for me if the red pixel is shown on normal window other than photos. They said, it's the photo's quality but not hardware. I think that it's an unacceptable reason because it's not only shown on a particular photo but on some other photos as well. Plus, the red pixel is not static, it might occur on some other places on the same photos if view later. You will notice that some of the red pixels are blinking.

I manage to use my video cam to capture those red pixel when it shown on my iBook screen. If anyone would like to do me a favor to check it for me whether it shows on your iBook screen, I really appreciate for your help. Please download the original image and video files from http://69.50.188.146/~stalk/37187_poster405_1.jpg and http://69.50.188.146/~stalk/Test3.zip. I have more video files if you would like to investigate further, just pm me.

A simple question, will you accept your laptop if the manufacturer change the lcd screen and motherboard of your 3 weeks old iBook? I hope apple will replace my defective iBook with a new unit.

Sorry if I sound rude but I am really disappointed here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I looked at the photo and didn't have any problems, but the video does clearly show some sort of defect.

Perhaps it is to do with certain colour tones? Try figuring out which areas are more prone to show the problem.

If it is a specific colour that is causing problems, then you can set that as your desktop background and show that to applecare..

OP
A

alf

Giacinto, please let me know how it goes.

Aptmunich, thanks for checking it for me. Are you using iBook for the test?
I tried with different photos and found no specific colors the red pixels will be shown, it's totally random. So can't actually find the patent for the red pixels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I used a revision b iBook G4 for the test (i.e. a 1Ghz 12"model) and I couldn't duplicate the effect I saw in the video.

What were you displaying the photos in though? A iPhoto slideshow?

I ask as the video shows only the photo on a black background without an application window and I was wondering if the fault occurred when displaying the image in iPhoto's browse or edit windows...

OP
P

Phiber

Apple won't fix it? Hmn... What good is this warrenty without some appreciable service? Hah!

OP
A

alf

Finally got my iBook replaced. Especially thanks to Aptmunich for his help and advise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem alf, congratulations!

Now enjoy your 'book!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.