Dude I'm getting a mac

Reaction score
Ok,
I'm a big linux user and now I've decided to get a mac. I'm prepared to make my purchase in the next month. Right now I'm trying to decide which Mac purchase is best for me. Currently trying to decide between the 24" iMac and the Mac Pro based on my needs. I'm also planing to pretty much standardized my home setup around the apple products.
This includes the following
Mac Book Pro ( Travel)
Apple TV
Time Capsule
Air Port Extreme (do I need this if I'm using time capsule)
iPod Touch (cochlear implant user, so I unable to use the iPhone, I have to hold on to my Palm Phone until apple decides to make the iphone compatible with hearing aids up to a M3/T3 rating)
I intend to keep one PC with Fedora installed I still like that OS.

Right now I'm stating off slow with just the computer and working out form there.

Thanks for listening
G-

Reaction score
Welcome to the club (and in a big way)!

What exactly are your needs? Let us know and we can help you identify which machine is best for you. Until then, I invite you to visit this site or its companion to read about the different recommendations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Skip the extreme, the time capsule has one built in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I'd say go with the Airport Extreme instead of Time Capuse, and then purchase an external USB Drive for it.

The main reason for this is that if you ever decide you want an off-site backup, you can't take your Time Capsule without taking your router as well. With the AE and a USB drive, you can change your backups at any time and move them off-site, or even change the size of the drive if you find you're running out of space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
Welcome :) Enjoy!

Reaction score
Yay, another Fedora user. ^.^ You could put Fedora on your new Mac, you know!

One thing to consider is that the iMac's screen can't be used as an external display by anything else, as far as I know. That's one reason why I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini ... I could use a switch to connect all my machines and game consoles up to the same display.

I assume that it'd work the same way with a Mac Pro, although depending on your needs a Pro may well be overkill! Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Fedora? Well done, my GNU brother! Fight the Debian machine!
*Ahem*
Well, I'm sure you've done some research to consider trying the Mac side like this, so I doubt you'll be very disappointed. Quite honestly, with just a few OS X-tweaking Terminal tricks, you already have enough knowledge of OS X to be considered an "advanced user," but feel free to ask around on these forums for any tips. The community is lovely, and we have happy hour every day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'd say go with the Airport Extreme instead of Time Capuse, and then purchase an external USB Drive for it.

The main reason for this is that if you ever decide you want an off-site backup, you can't take your Time Capsule without taking your router as well. With the AE and a USB drive, you can change your backups at any time and move them off-site, or even change the size of the drive if you find you're running out of space.
While it works (for time machine here), I've had nothing but problems with a USB drive attached to an Extreme. Every time there's a firmware update I lose my backup settings and have to 'hack' it again. Sure I can reset it again, but then it's a whole new series of backups and the previous ones are useless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Before I do a firmware update on my AEBS I always make sure to turn off Time Machine on both my Macs and disconnect all users. I haven't had a problem with losing any of my backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.