Permissions Nightmare

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPod
hi, i recently deleted all my old account to start a fresh one, but wanted to keep all my files. i backed everything up and moved everything in, but now my new account has no permissions to write. i can't even move a file to a different folder without an admin password. When i go to Get Info on a folder, the permissions say:

_unknown: read and write
unknown
everyone: read

i'm guessing that the '_unknown' is my old account which i deleted. is there any way to give myself ownership of EVERY file and delete the traces of my old account without going through each file ONE by ONE?

(running on Leopard, intel iMac)

Reaction score
When you create a new user account and move the data over, the permissions are still set for the old user. Open Terminal and type sudo chown -Rv username ~ (where username is the new username, obviously). This should set you straight.

Reaction score
kahlil88

I felt compelled to join this forum because of your answer to the above posters question. You saved me tons of effort and time by following your answer. I went to numerous forums looking for an answer and all posters suggested a complete or archive install.

thank you for taking timeout to help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.