Pimping a imac 233 mhz

M

madmanjock

I've just bought a imac 233 from ebay as a second pc and I want to boast it as much as I can. 1st step would be the processor, as far as price/performance ratio goes what do you think my best bet would be? Also I've never overclocked a mac but I'm not afraid to start, where can I get the software/tools I need? Next it's only got 32mb of ram... I need at least 128 mb would almost any standard 144 pin SDRAM do? Hard disk is already updated to 40 gb which is enough for now, last thing to do would be to get a Game Wizard 8mb Voodoo 2 for it but I can't find them anywhere - I only want to be able to play unreal/quake 3. What is the maximum OS this card would support? and where the **** can I get one?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I bought the same machine (imac 233Mhz) for my fiancee and got 256MB of RAM for it and am installing 80GB HD. I'm running Jaguar on it - not real fast but it runs w/little trouble. This should give you an idea for faster processor (even 600Mhz w/firewire), the right RAM, HDs, etc.
http://otherworldcomputing.com/

madmanjock said:
I've just bought a imac 233 from ebay as a second pc and I want to boast it as much as I can. 1st step would be the processor, as far as price/performance ratio goes what do you think my best bet would be? Also I've never overclocked a mac but I'm not afraid to start, where can I get the software/tools I need? Next it's only got 32mb of ram... I need at least 128 mb would almost any standard 144 pin SDRAM do? Hard disk is already updated to 40 gb which is enough for now, last thing to do would be to get a Game Wizard 8mb Voodoo 2 for it but I can't find them anywhere - I only want to be able to play unreal/quake 3. What is the maximum OS this card would support? and where the **** can I get one?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 14" 1.42GHz 512MB Ram
Wow

That's pretty cool because I just got one of those too. Its a great machine (and my first mac) but i want to begin slowly updating it because i would also like to be able to play quake 3 and unreal tournament.

When did you get yours, i was looking at one on ebay not to long ago and i may have bid on it.

OP
M

madmanjock

Badger said:
There are various upgrades possible for these models; the big problem is the small VRAM limits video performance. Try this link for more info: http://lowendmac.com/imacs/imac.shtml

I've been reading that site, I know I can upgrade the 2mb to 6mb and that is quite cheap to do (10 euros on ebay) but as well as that I'd like a Game Wizard Voodoo 2 that has 8 mb video memory and is said to be 10 times faster than the IIc that comes with rev a imac's.

OP
T

themac

i have a pimped out imac i brought. I paid 60 bucks for 600mhz/40gb/cdrw/NO RAM. I just brought a 80gb hard drive with os 10.3.6 load on it off ebay for it for like 55 bucks. Then I brougth 256mb of ram for it for like 28 bucks. Now I just need a keyboard and mouse and I'll have a **** good mac. Its pretty fast too, and that compared to my to 1ghz powerbook with 640mb ddr ram. wish ya the best with pimping ya ride lol naw i mean ya mac.

OP
M

madmanjock

themac said:
i have a pimped out imac i brought. I paid 60 bucks for 600mhz/40gb/cdrw/NO RAM. I just brought a 80gb hard drive with os 10.3.6 load on it off ebay for it for like 55 bucks. Then I brougth 256mb of ram for it for like 28 bucks. Now I just need a keyboard and mouse and I'll have a **** good mac. Its pretty fast too, and that compared to my to 1ghz powerbook with 640mb ddr ram. wish ya the best with pimping ya ride lol naw i mean ya mac.

Wow, you lucky....

Anyway, I've seen a 333mhz CPU for a imac that should fit in my 233 imac no problem from what I understand? (it's only $25)

Anyone know something about imac overclocking? Do you think I could get this upto or close to 400 mhz? I'd be happy with that. I don't know anything about mac overclocking so could someone point me in the correct direction?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
madmanjock said:
Wow, you lucky....

Anyway, I've seen a 333mhz CPU for a imac that should fit in my 233 imac no problem from what I understand? (it's only $25)

Anyone know something about imac overclocking? Do you think I could get this upto or close to 400 mhz? I'd be happy with that. I don't know anything about mac overclocking so could someone point me in the correct direction?

Overclocking the iMac is not terribly easy to do, and the most you could bump your 233 to would probably be 300 MHz. Search Google for "overclock iMac G3" for some information about the procedure, but be advised that it requires somewhat delicate soldering.

OP
P

Performa460

What is overclocking? And more importantly, will it cause your mac to expode and shower you with white hot glass?

OP
P

Performa460

Can you upgrade a Proccesor? Can you just pull out the old one and stick a new one in? Can you have Two?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.