Apple TV and AVI files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Last year I spent about a week copying all my DVD's to my hard drive so stored away the hard copies to collect dust.

I quite fancy the idea of apple TV and link up with itunes to rent or buy movies but would apple tv be able to store and play my avi's?

Reaction score
AVI is a container format, so the audio and video streams could really be anything. What DVD-ripping program did you use, and with what video settings?

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
I used handbrake on the standard avi output settings. A handful were done when I was a pc user, for the life of me I cant remember what program I used but it was pretty similar one click to convert like handbrake.

Just for future reference, is there a better way to convert my dvds into my computer?

Reaction score
I used handbrake on the standard avi output settings. A handful were done when I was a pc user, for the life of me I cant remember what program I used but it was pretty similar one click to convert like handbrake.

Just for future reference, is there a better way to convert my dvds into my computer?

i have avis working with third party software on my intel leopard. but i want to really do is use front page to show pix. and i think that means I have to get quicktimer player working. please advise.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wolfgang - use DVDpedia

I can play the AVI files no trouble at all on VLC or Quicktime. Would be nice to have them all on apple tv so I can plug it into my TV if I ever want to watch a film with my housemates

Reaction score
HandBrake is available for Mac OS X as well - you might want to tweak the settings and re-rip your movies as MP4.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So if they are all mp4, i could put them into my itunes library and transfer onto apple tv?

Anyway of doing all 300 odd movies at the same time from AVI to MP4 so I dont have to get all the DVDs back down from the attic?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.