format from Windows to iMac

Reaction score
Hey gang,
Currently waiting for my new iMac to arrive in the mail. So, I want to switch my iPod (80 gb classic) from the Windows format to Apple - obviously. Can this be done and if so, how?
Can this also be done without jeprodizing my songs and movies that I have on my iPod?
And with transfering files I'm looking at "move to Mac." Does this work for downloaded music from iTunes?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Blackbook, 4GB memory, 250GB HD
I just did this. If you have your music library saved on your hard drive then all you need to do is connect your ipod to your imac. Then click on your ipod inside itunes and click the button that says "Restore". Clicking restore will reformat your ipod to mac format but you will lose all your songs. If you dont have your music library saved you can use the following program to take your music out of your ipod and into you imac. ->http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/

OP
Z
Reaction score
I just did this. If you have your music library saved on your hard drive then all you need to do is connect your ipod to your imac. Then click on your ipod inside itunes and click the button that says "Restore". Clicking restore will reformat your ipod to mac format but you will lose all your songs. If you dont have your music library saved you can use the following program to take your music out of your ipod and into you imac. ->http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/

Great! Sounds easy enough.
Umm, just to clarify, I should transfer my music first to my iMac then re-formatt me iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" 2.13 MacBook Pro, 2 GB RAM, Parallels w/ Windows XP Pro, 60 GB Video iPod.
Yes. When you reformat your iPod it will only load what you have on your "mac" iTunes. It will erase everything that is currently on your "windows" iPod. Senuti as thetruth suggested works very well. Congrats on the mac. I converted 2 years ago and havent looked back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" 2.13 MacBook Pro, 2 GB RAM, Parallels w/ Windows XP Pro, 60 GB Video iPod.
Yes. When you reformat your iPod to mac. You will lose all files currently on it. Senuti works very well for extracting iPod info to your mac. What would be best is to have your music library already on your "mac" iTunes when you reformat your iPod. Can take care of music library and reformat in one step.

P.S. Take some time on your "windows" iPod and fine tune your current iPod files. (i.e. Artists, Song Titles, Albums, Get rid of misssspellings, and duplicates, etc.) Before you use Senuti. Senuti and iTunes work together. They will create and file your music in proper folders. Makes it very tidy and neat for you.

Reaction score
The iMac is a desktop Macintosh computer designed and built by Apple Inc. It has been a large part of Apple's consumer desktop offerings since its introduction in 1998, and has evolved through four distinct forms. In its original form, the iMac G3, the iMac was gum drop- or egg-shaped with a CRT monitor, mainly enclosed by colored, translucent plastic. The second major revision, the iMac G4, moved to a design of a hemispherical base containing all the main components and an LCD monitor on a freely-moving arm attached to the top of the base. The iMac G5 and the Intel iMac placed all the components immediately behind the display, creating a slim design which tilts only up and down on a simple metal base. The current iMac shares the same form as the previous models, but is now thinner and uses brushed aluminum and black-bordered glass for its case.

Like other Apple products, the iMac enjoys a relatively high profile in popular culture due to its distinctive aesthetics and Apple's successful marketing[citation needed]. The iMac and other Macintosh computers can also be seen in various movies, commercials, and TV shows (both live action and animated).[1] The iMac has also received considerable critical acclaim, including praise from technology columnist Walt Mossberg as the “Gold Standard of desktop computing";[2] Forbes Magazine described the original candy-colored line of iMac computers as being an “industry-altering success”.[3] The first 24" Core 2 Duo iMac received CNET's “Must-have desktop” in their 2006 Top 10 Holiday Gift Picks.[4]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.