OS X install

K

kingcrowing2

I just got a new 80 Gig WD HD for my Rev. 1 B&W... i installed os X on the 6 gig HDD, now i replaced it with the 80, and its on the OS X boot up screen after it boots from the CD (no installation has startrd) it has an apple and rotating circle at the bottom as normal, but its been sitting here for like 30 mins... is it doing a format of the new HD? it is moving and the CPU is hot (a normal temp, but its doing something) is this normal? i might have the jumper wrong... i have a second 10 Gig HDD that was a secondary one with the 6 giger... its a slave, and my 80 is master w/ slave, or should it be stright master or cable select... thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What type of OS install did you choose?

The disk format maybe your problem.

OP
K

kingcrowing2

there was never an option... i boot from CD and it shows the apple with the spinning circle thing at the bottom, and it dosn't go after that, it just sits there....
and its 10.3

OP
K

kingcrowing2

ok, i got it to work, but now when i get to the menu to pick an installation directory, it won't let me install it to the new HD, i did a partition to OS X extended and it said that it wouldn't install on it... whats up???

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am making a guess here. I am wondering if your system is one of those that to have the filesystem creaed on the first 8 gb of the disk.

OP
K

kingcrowing2

YES I GOT IT!!! i needed to play with the jumper settings and do a new partition in the disk utlities, but it should be fine now... but i figured out the other problem... somethings wrong with my new RAM, i think one of the 4 sticks might be DOA or something, once its all installed i'll see whats wrong

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You were working okay, so I would try cleaning the CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
kingcrowing2 said:
i think the CD drive is broken... any ways to tell? thanks
open system profiler, and under the hardware tab, click ata, if the drive is listed there, if its an ata drive, its ok.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.