USB hub

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mbp
i need to buy a ex hd soon..and it got me thinking..
imac only has 3 usb ports on the back (2 on the keyboard, but i dont like to use them because the cords get in the way from how my desk is set up)..so i may need to purchase a USB hub.
if i were to purchase a hub that had 3 ports..that would definately be plenty. but if i had ..say..3 ex hard drives, an ipod, my mouse,..and whatever else connected AT ALL TIMES..could that damage the computer ?

it just seems like a little much. anyone have experience with this?

now i probably won't have all of those connected at one time..but it's still nice to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
You will want to get one that is powered by its own power supply. I have like 10 things plugged into my mini and it has been fine for the past few years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
imac only has 3 usb ports on the back (2 on the keyboard, ..so i may need to purchase a USB hub.
if i were to purchase a hub that had 3 ports..if i had ..say..3 ex hard drives, an ipod, my mouse,..and whatever else connected AT ALL TIMES..could that damage the computer? ... anyone have experience with this?

You're most unlikely to damage your computer with a powered hub. See my post in this same section entitled "May I Introduce". I use 3 powered hubs, 2 x Kouwell 4-port units (prob obsolete now) being my favourite for desktop operation, but for portability I use a Cyberpower. A little beauty!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.