Remote Desktop via Mac to Windows PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Hi,

I'm a bit confused about how remote desktop works, do both computers have to be using the internet?

I maybe going into a new job but the workstation is not accessible for me as I use a wheelchair. A company helps disabled people get funding for tables etc for them to be able to work at the job, the equipment is for them. I'm trying to think of some ideas that can be done to help me at my work place.

One idea is to get an adjustable table I can get under and a Macbook or Macbook Pro and use Remote Desktop on the Mac to get into the Windows desktop computer and use the programs I need for my work. The main program I'd be using would be Office and the email.

Can I remote desktop via a Mac to a Windows PC?
Is there anything either the Mac or the windows desktop pc must have?

The office area has just one computer for staff to use, it's a Community House so not a lot of staff there at one time.
thanks for any help

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi,

I'm a bit confused about how remote desktop works, do both computers have to be using the internet?

Well, they have to be on the same network. If you're trying to connect over the public Internet, you will likely need to do some configuration on your router to allow the traffic to pass through.

I maybe going into a new job but the workstation is not accessible for me as I use a wheelchair. A company helps disabled people get funding for tables etc for them to be able to work at the job, the equipment is for them. I'm trying to think of some ideas that can be done to help me at my work place.

One idea is to get an adjustable table I can get under and a Macbook or Macbook Pro and use Remote Desktop on the Mac to get into the Windows desktop computer and use the programs I need for my work. The main program I'd be using would be Office and the email.

Seems doable to me.

Can I remote desktop via a Mac to a Windows PC?

Absolutely.

Is there anything either the Mac or the windows desktop pc must have?

Well, you'll need to get Remote Desktop for Mac, which is available from http://www.mactopia.com. Also, the PC must have either Windows 2000, XP Professional or Home Premium edition of Vista (or better).

The office area has just one computer for staff to use, it's a Community House so not a lot of staff there at one time.
thanks for any help

Cool, good luck.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Thanks for the fast reply and great info.

Just another question: If both computers are not hooked up to the internet, then I can still use remote desktop from mac to win pc?

If there computer does have an Internet connection setup and the macbook or MBP can wireless connect, what do you mean by same network?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for the fast reply and great info.

Just another question: If both computers are not hooked up to the internet, then I can still use remote desktop from mac to win pc?

Yes, one can have a network (wireless or wired) that does not have a connection to the Internet and still use Remote Desktop.

If there computer does have an Internet connection setup and the macbook or MBP can wireless connect, what do you mean by same network?

In simple terms, if you're all using the same router, you're all on the same network.

Conversely, let's say for example that you are at home in NZ, connected to a router that is connected to the Internet and I am at my home in the US, connected to a router that is connected to the Internet - we are both on separate networks, even though we both connect to the same, public Internet. In that case, we'd need to do some special configuration with our routers to get our computers to see one another across the Internet.

Does that make sense?

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so much for explaining that, I now understand how it all works :) It's really appreciated and I like the simple explaination too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The main program I'd be using would be Office and the email.

Why not just use them on your Mac? It would be much, much faster than using them remotely.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because it has to be done on there computer. If I set up booking etc via the Outlook calendar on my Mac, then it won't show on there Outlook calendar. For all other things I would just do on the macbook.

Why not just use them on your Mac? It would be much, much faster than using them remotely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.