Battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerboook G4 17" 1.67GHz 512MB ram, iPod 60GB, iPod shuffle
Since I use my iBook on a table with a power supply nearby, I always use the power supply. And would once in a while operate my iBook on Battery say when I wanna show my friends my documents and stuff.
But I was wondering.
As with other wintel notebooks, plugging in the power supply with the battery in and fully charged for a long term would be detrimental to the battery. Thus shortening the lifespan of the battery (Eg. My cousin is an example. His batt on full charge now lasts 17 minutes tops)
So, would this be the same case for the iBook's or does Apple think about this and have a sort of cut-off preventing this(overcharging) from happening?

Anyone with knowledge on this could enlighten me?

Thank You.

Have a Merry Christmas to one and all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
alejandrico said:
The LED in the plug charger changes from yellow to green :)

or maybe green to yellow ;)

OP
minus182
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So am I safe to say that I can leave the power adaptor connected to my iBook even though it's fully charged?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Correct, you can't overcharge the battery.
Some believe, that if you are going to use the computer with the adapter for an extended period of time, that it would be beneficial to remove the battery to reduce the temperature of the ibook and save battery life. I've not seen any documents to support this as a problem.

M

mangoSharingan

I hope there's no problem with it because I use it quite often during the day with the adapter plugged into the mains when I'm not going to be moving it for a few hours. I really cannot be bothered to remove the battery daily, plus if I keep doing it frequently, I might mess it up. At the moment, my battery doesn't fit in 100% perfectly and I have only had it for 3 weeks. For example, if you was to place it on a 100% flat surface with the 4 rubber-supports on the base removed, then it wouldn't be 100% level because of the battery sticking out a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mangoSharingan said:
…battery sticking out a bit.

You need to see what is causing the battery to not be flush. If you can't get it to seat properly, take it back where you bought it.

OP
minus182
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah, i think i'll just leave the power cord plugged in.
would be weird if i take it out as i can't type properly with the batt removed.

if he were to bring back the iBook, what could Apple do? at most is to replace the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
minus182 said:
ah, i think i'll just leave the power cord plugged in.
would be weird if i take it out as i can't type properly with the batt removed…

What does this mean?

OP
minus182
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
immdb said:
What does this mean?
If I were to remove the battery, i Can't type properly as it would be wobbly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
minus182 said:
If I were to remove the battery, i Can't type properly as it would be wobbly.

Makes sense, the way I type I would'nt know the difference :mac:

M

mangoSharingan

immdb said:
You need to see what is causing the battery to not be flush. If you can't get it to seat properly, take it back where you bought it.

Well, nothing is wrong with it performance-wise. I ordered it from Apple online so it would be very troublesome to send it back. I'll try re-seating it again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.