I'm a MAC OWNER! MS Money Program

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just bought my first mac book and I'm loving it! Yay!

I have one question....I used to use MS Money on my pc. I don't think MS is compatible with mac? Is there an good personal accounts program I could use in place of MS Money?

Really hope you can help!

Thanks!

Karen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHZ 2gig RAM - 80GIG HDD - Bluetooh - Airport -MAC OSX 10.5
Well with the macbook the CPU was changed from Apples own make to Intel...

This means that programs which you used on your pc can now be installed on a Mac and work Great :)

Now you can't just install MS: Money on your macbook. You need to download a program for the mac to run Windows...

Now i suggest using parrallels... You can have a free 30day trial from here

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

You to have a Windows XP or Vista lisence... coppys won't work!

When this is intstalled, you will have a virtual machine. So you can switch beetween Mac OSX and Windows without restarting and be able to run your MS programs

Hope i was at some help :)

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

This means that programs which you used on your pc can now be installed on a Mac and work Great :)

Now you can't just install MS: Money on your macbook. You need to download a program for the mac to run Windows...

Now i suggest using parrallels... You can have a free 30day trial from here

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

You to have a Windows XP or Vista lisence... coppys won't work!

When this is intstalled, you will have a virtual machine. So you can switch beetween Mac OSX and Windows without restarting and be able to run your MS programs

Hope i was at some help :)

cheers

Or as long as you have a licensed copy of Windows XP SP2 or Vista you can run Boot Camp and partition your disk and install Windows on your Mac.

Search Boot Camp Assistant in Spotlight.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMAC, Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, LEOPARD
lol shes my mum in r/l,
is there a program that lets u run windows programs whilst yor using mac os,
and if u can get viruses if u do the above

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol shes my mum in r/l,
is there a program that lets u run windows programs whilst yor using mac os,
and if u can get viruses if u do the above

Sure, you can run Windows within Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox. And yes, your Windows installation will be susceptible to viruses, although the Mac OS X installation will not be effected. More information in the Switcher's Guide to Running Windows on your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I just read this morning that MS is doing away with Money app and moving it to an online version only. You may want to look into that. I can't find the article now...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Actually, the PowerPC series CPUs were made by Motorola and IBM.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies! :) I will check out chequebookpro and ibank. I like the way MS Money works so I will also look into the MS Money online. I've heard there's a program called Personal Accountz but this is a very 'simple' clunky program so the reviews have put me off abit.

I'm not keen on installing windows on mac.

Thanks!

Karen

Reaction score
The reason Personal Accountz gets bad reviews is because the reviews are expecting a Quicken or iBank interface so no wonder they get a shock!

If you want the stocks and shares and the American regime then iBank3 is better. If you just want to create you own accounts in 3 minutes then do this instead:
YouTube - Personal Accountz Entries/Acounts demo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
This is probably the one area where the Mac is chronically weak; although some people will argue the point.

If you only used the very basic features of MS Money (a checking account, credit card and maybe a few shares), something like iBank might suit. However iBank has some very serious problems (if you don't believe me, go to their forums and take a look - I post there regularly under the same username). iBank does direct downloads (although not for securities), has some OK graphs and reports (although not net worth, or balances over time) and it really looks stunning (apart from the columns going out of alighment or vanishing altogether). The biggest issue with iBank is that the releases are very rare and you never know if your feature or fix will make it. Also the reconcile feature stinks (there is a thread about this on their forums) and the input interface has a nice selection of bugs.

MyMoney (mthbuilt.com)is another alternative, but it's still undergoing development and for me lacks too many basic features (budgeting and securities for a start). However they ARE on their way, and unlike iBank you can talk to the developers directly on the forums and they really do listen.

MoneyWell (nothirst.com) is also looking better. The workflow is horrible (you have to allocate cash flows and then withdraw money from buckets) and it excludes securities, but 1.4 (still in beta) supports direct downloads, which is nice.

Moneydance is a cross-platform alternative. Some people like it, but for me it's the worst of both worlds. It lacks the functionality of MS Money and lacks the looks of iBank. Also the import and reconcile features are really painful; you have to agree each and every transaction when reconciling (yawn).

Money 3, Squirel 0.5.7, Chekbook, Liquid Ledger and others, all offer some nice features, interesting interfaces and varying levels of support (from none to almost none). However they all lack direct downloads... this doesn't bother some people, but if like me you have 4 credit cards including corporate ones, bank accounts in several currencies, a stock portfolio you like to have updated daily, or even hourly, and care in wny way whatsoever about understanding your net worth etc, these are 'toy' applications at best.

Finally Quicken for Mac. Now, if you had never used a PC, or PC Quicken, you might think the Mac version was quite good (if you don't mind applications that looks like they were developed on OS 8.5). However, it's slow, full of bugs, is missing features that were in Quicken 1999 on PC (such as multi-currency, the ability to skip a single payment or make overpayments on loans etc), and even worse, Intuit have all but forgotten about support (again check the forums at intuit).

The only ray of hope is Quicken Life for Mac, which is due this Autumn. The beta should have already started, but things have gone quiet, but it's supposed to be a brand new financial app for the mac. However it is not expected to be feature complete (although Quicken Mac never was either) and no one really knows when it will be released, if at all.

Honestly, the best advice, is to install MS Money on your Mac via Parallels or VM Fusion (you could buy either for the same price as iBank). It will save you a lot of grey hairs, believe me.

Honestly, I have downloaded just about EVERY financial app available for the Mac, and not one of them even comes remotely close to MS Money 2002, much less anything released in the last 2 years, which is a real shame. There is an opportunity for anyone who wants to bring this type of app to the Mac. I only keep my Windows install for MS Money, which says a lot, and my poor MacBook is a 2006 model, with only 2GBs of RAM - so this is a big sacrifice for me when I am updating my finances. I would not take the decision or advice lightly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Anyone heard anything new about Quicken Financial Life for Mac? I haven't seen anything new on their forums and just signed up for the beta testing. Hopefully this will comeo ut soon and be a good alternative to MS Money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Anyone heard anything new about Quicken Financial Life for Mac? I haven't seen anything new on their forums and just signed up for the beta testing. Hopefully this will comeo ut soon and be a good alternative to MS Money.

I signed up for the beta in February and have done so several times since then, but didn't get an invite. I think they're only interested if you say this is your first financial program.

By all accounts, it's going to be missing a lot of features... bill pay for a start. I am not very hopeful.

Reaction score
I also signed up for the Beta..... not a word. Personally, I think Intuit has gone downhill. Support and product both. Even the PC version of their programs have taken their share of hits.

I'm using iBank, and while it isn't the greatest application it gets the job done for what I need. The UI is a tad clunky.

Reaction score
I had exactly the same problem. Tried Personal Accountz but didn't get on with it compared to Money. Ended up using Money via VirtualBox with an old copy of Widows XP. Works a treat and can still use my Mac at the same time

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.