Is this a good or bad idea?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
Hey guys, I'm going back to school in September and I'll probably have my new MacBook with me often. Now I do have my own laptop bag but that was for my old Toshiba so it's a little bit on the bigger side. I'm entering my last year of high school so I don't really wanna carry a laptop bag around everywhere. Instead, I've thought of this solution:

P7290047.jpg

P7290048.jpg

P7290049.jpg

P7290050.jpg

As you may or may not be able to tell, the MacBook fits perfectly into my school binder (no need for a MacBook Air now:Evil: , just kidding). The reason why I ask if this is a bad idea is because when the binder is closed, the MB is upside-down. I chose to put it in head first because then the heat fans (is that what you call them?) are not blocked, so this reduces the risk of my motherboard overheating while I leave it to sleep.

But anyways, is it bad if the MB is upside-down for a couple hours of the day?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
The upside down part won't matter, but I would highly reccomend getting either a laptop bag or backpack. That doesn't have much padding, and probably wouldn't do much to protect the laptop if it fell and hit the ground.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
^^^ Not to mention the fact that the back of the screen will be up against the metal rings all day. It might damage the LCD or back light.

OP
GK27V6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ Actually both points do not apply in this case. I actually installed extra padding in my binder which you cannot see in the pictures, as well as in my backpack where it will be for some time. I don't think I've installed enough yet, maybe I will later. Still, I'm very careful with my things and tend to never drop anything with anything valuable inside, e.g. a laptop lol.

Also, my binder is designed so that the top part does not hit the rings. That was the first thing I checked for when I tried out my idea and it never hit the rings unless I purposely set it on top, but then the binder obviously won't close.

That said, I still am considering a new laptop bag that is specifically designed for the MB.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All well and good as for the protection of the MacBook, however, be very cautious about putting the machine to sleep and carrying it around while it's in that bag or any other. It's very easy for the machine to get jostled and come out of sleep while it's being carried in the bag. Coming out of sleep without your knowledge could lead to overheating and possible damage to the hard drive.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
"MacBook - Is this a good or bad idea?"

That's the most beautiful way to start a sentence or a topic, ever. There's only one way to find out!

I think your idea rocks! Short of you drop kicking your binder or surfing the net while going for a dune buggy ride, your mac will be fine.

If your macbook can't survive a high school or collage student, Apple should stop making portable computers, or at least stop charging so much. Apple calls it a "portable" for a reason. You paid $1200+ for this computer, it should kiss your butt, not the other way around.

Good luck and give that pig H E double hockey sticks.

OP
GK27V6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"MacBook - Is this a good or bad idea?"

That's the most beautiful way to start a sentence or a topic, ever. There's only one way to find out!

I think your idea rocks! Short of you drop kicking your binder or surfing the net while going for a dune buggy ride, your mac will be fine.

If your macbook can't survive a high school or collage student, Apple should stop making portable computers, or at least stop charging so much. Apple calls it a "portable" for a reason. You paid $1200+ for this computer, it should kiss your butt, not the other way around.

Good luck and give that pig H E double hockey sticks.

Haha thank you, on all points. PS I paid $1000 because I got a refurbished model:Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.