editing a web page on mac

Reaction score
when editing a webpage on mac with text edit, can you set it up in a way so you can start editing the html on that page after you have viewed it's source?

When i edit on a pc with windows, it automatically switches from internet explore browser to the windows browser which makes everything easy and your able to edit, save and see the results immediatley.(correct me if i'm wrong on this i am a new html student just finished my intro coarse) On the mac i have to keep copying and pasting. Its annoying but i'm sure there is a way to configure it to work like the pc browser does. theres gotta be. anything is possible on a mac! I'd appriciate it if somebody could help me out with this. cheers!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What program were you using in Windows to edit web pages? Text Edit is a very basic text editor and not specifically designed for web development (although it can be used to edit HTML code). If you want something that's more geared toward web development, we can make a recommendation based on what you were using in Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black 2.2GHz 160GB HD 4GB RAM
As a longtime former Microsoft (sufferer) accustomed to writing Web code on Notepad, what do I use to write/edit HTML on my iMac?

g.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
TextEdit is the equivalent of Notepad, so if that's what you want you can use that. Otherwise there are several options available and people have listed them in the various threads here: Dreamweaver, RapidWeaver, iWeb of course (I'd suggest not iWeb).

OP
R
Reaction score
What program were you using in Windows to edit web pages? Text Edit is a very basic text editor and not specifically designed for web development (although it can be used to edit HTML code). If you want something that's more geared toward web development, we can make a recommendation based on what you were using in Windows.

i was using notepad. i just want to be able to go in, view the source, and start editing immediatley. I heard that on the windows it switchs from the IE browser to the Windows Browser without you even knowing thats why you can view source and them start editing the code immediatley. is this true? how would i do this on Mac?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i was using notepad. i just want to be able to go in, view the source, and start editing immediatley. I heard that on the windows it switchs from the IE browser to the Windows Browser without you even knowing thats why you can view source and them start editing the code immediatley. is this true? how would i do this on Mac?

Notepad is a very basic text editor, I don't know of any plug-in or add-on that would automatically preview the HTML code in a browser. That functionality is typical of a higher end web development application, like Dreamweaver or Frontpage.

Internet Explorer is actually integrated into Windows, which is one of the reasons that Microsoft ran into problems with the US department of Justice back in the late 90's. Windows Explorer actually uses components of IE to display its content.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.