Netgear Wireless Router Settings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB Netgear wireless router DG 834G
Hi all

Have recently changed ISP from virgin to toucan and am very wet behind the ears with regards to setting up my Netgear wireless router DG8349 have been without interent access for 4 days as unable to configure settings. Yesterday I rang Toucan support in Bombay who actually helped and it worked - however me being me logged on this morning and realised there was no WEP security set up so entered the IP address for the router into Safari address bar and attempted to set up a WEP password but now have no internet connection. Really annoyed with myself as cannot see the Network when click onto System preferences/ Network

Can anyone please help and explain in very basic terminology what i did wrong and how to correct my stupid mistake

many thanks

Ange

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You should have got a quick setup guide with the router.... if not go here

The guide will get you through it but the rough steps from new are:
1. connect to router with a network cable, log into router (enter IP address into Safari - enter router user/password) P36 of manual linked above
2. Run the setup wizard to configure your Internet connection
3. Go into Wireless settings(chapter 4 of manual linked above), enable wi-fi, choose WPA-PSK security, choose a wpa password, click apply, log out of router.
4. disconnect cable.
5. try to connect wirelessly from your mac, entering the wpa password you choose when prompted.

These are just rough outlines but the setup guide will give you more.

If it still doesn't work post back details of exactly where you're having problems and I'll try to fill in the gaps.

HTH
mrplow

OP
ange
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks mrplow

I will give this a go over the weekend and let you know how i get on - wish me luck

Ange

OP
ange
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally success, am back online :) had to try 3 times as kept dropping internet connection when it came to the security section, dont know why?? was gonna go for the WEP option yet again but went for the one you suggested, did drop but again but am online and the connection on the network says WPA next to it so think i'm secure too.

Thanks again for your help

Ange

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
glad you got it working :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.