What are G5 Mac Pro desktops like?

Reaction score
I originally posted this on another forum but I thought this place might be better, you all being pro's on the subject ;)

The reason why I ask this is that I would love a desktop Mac Pro but the Intel models are well out of my finances (unless I get a grant through uni for one...but I think £1700 might be pushing it!)
Looking on Ebay etc the G5 Pro models are well under half the price; not uncommon to see them for 600 quid ferinstace.

How do they compare in speed to the Intel models? Im guessing they would be easily fast enough for Logic, Reason, Final Cut etc...but Im just curious.

At the moment I have a Macbook. Very happy with it but I want another Mac to reside perminently in my Studio.

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
They're fine machines and certainly fast enough for anything available at the moment.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Alexis but would caution you from buying on eBay. Best to find a seller local to you where you could meet with them and test the machine before purchasing.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What are G5 Mac Pro desktops like?
I couldn't tell you, since no such machine exists. :)

There are, however, Mac Pros and G5 Power Macs.

I have a 1st Gen. Power Mac G5 and I absolutely love it. I use Logic 8, FCP and the Adobe CS suite daily and I have never had a problem with any of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Hey,

For £590 I picked up a Dual G5 2.7GHz PowerMac - rest of specs are in sig - from eBay a month ago.

It runs photoshop very well and err... Safari, iTunes, and OS X run well too. That's about all I do with it tho. I'd hazard a guess and say it should be powerful enough to run your apps tho, but I'd make sure you get a dual CPU one.

Just remember that the next OS X release is Intel only and maybe all future software will be too so it MAY be worth nothing to you in a year or so.

Have you thought about a Intel Based iMac at all? I was going to get one but in the end I know next year I'll either go back to a PC or get a Mac Pro for OS 10.6.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.