Hmm help me decide...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I could get a 512 stick of ram for $100 bucks, or a 1gig stick for around $220. my ibook comes with 256mb standard. Do you think 768mb would be sufficient? Or is 1.25gig that much better. Please describe the differences Id notice using OSX and applications...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
This is how I see it. Most people say that unix is memory hungry, so the more memory the better. I have 768mb in mine and I don't have any problems. But I do have the original Ti powerbook. I would get a much as you can afford. So if you can afford the 1GB stick, then get the 1GB stick. At the time I purchased my memory upgrade only 512mb sticks were available.

M

mangoSharingan

If you can afford it, get the 1GB stick to max it out because 512MB would be a waste should you have to dump it later. Of course, 512MB is enough though and is the more sensible choice if you think it will last you for the whole of your iBook's life. I picked 512MB because it will be a few years before 1.25GB is the absolute standard for basic programs. I honestly wouldn't mind waiting a few seconds more for a program to load when the time comes.

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Well I could get 512 in the next week or so, cause around $100 aint too bad. If I got a gig stick, Id have to wait til the end of January. Im getting a new vehicle on January 17th, so all my liquid assets are going to that, not too mention I just dropped $1100 dollars on an ibook. I think what I may do is tough it out with the 256mb of ram, and come the end of January, I will buy a gig stick, a game, and a program, kinda splurge I guess.

S

sandygrao

cool....had the same question in mind!! u guys answered it even before i could ask...
i am going to buy the kingmax 512 for $85!! at newegg....
maybe u should try their site, good rams are pretty cheap!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.