My "Switcher" Review of the iBook G4 12"

Reaction score
Great review, I enjoyed reading it. Glad you threw in some pictures, it makes it look complete. I also think that apple needs to realize that a one button mouse isn't enough. Mouse still looks and feels cool though. Hope you enjoy your iBook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I politely disagree. 1 button mouse is fine; all the other functions are on the keyboard. Why should the mouse do all the work!?

OP
soulreaver99
Reaction score
witeshark said:
I politely disagree. 1 button mouse is fine; all the other functions are on the keyboard. Why should the mouse do all the work!?

Because carpel tunnel is a very bad thing to have. Also, it's also smart marketing if you want to bring over more PC users to the Mac world. Using the PC for many years is not an easy experience when it comes to taking the sacred extra mouse button away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Makes me even more excited to get my Mac. I got like 2 days left to wait! I liked your review alot because its from a diehard PC user like myself.

Reaction score
Dvd2one version 1.4 can create an ISO image and you can burn it to DVD using disk Utility. (no need for Roxio)

congrats on the new Ibook. Good review.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Desolate One said:
I don't think Apple is competing for the same market.
Off Topic:
Well I think they are competing for the pc users, that was what the 'switchers' campaign was all about.

I think they should at least offer an optional 2-button "official apple" mouse.
I know any old pc mouse will work, but I'm sure lots of users would prefer an official apple one...

On Topic: Nice review, very professional, nice pics too!

D

Desolate One

Aptmunich said:
Off Topic:
Well I think they are competing for the pc users, that was what the 'switchers' campaign was all about.

Right, for home users. As far as the lions share there's no way a company is going to ditch their $200 Dell workstations for $900 eMacs, then have to train all their employees on AppleWorks. In the corporate market it's PC all the way. I should have been a bit more specific in my comment, my bad.

I liked his pics as well. I need to play w/ lighting since I can never get a shot showing wot's on the screen! :D

D

Danster

i disargee about the two button mouse because i used windows before i got my Mac and still do at college and i hardly ever use the second mouse button and seeing a everyones hand is always on the keyboard that opps for the seconds mouse button
and see no reason to spoil a lovely little mouse because it's great the way the entire mouse clicks down if ya had two buttons that would take it away ;)

OP
soulreaver99
Reaction score
jamin said:
Dvd2one version 1.4 can create an ISO image and you can burn it to DVD using disk Utility. (no need for Roxio)

congrats on the new Ibook. Good review.

oh holy k-rap! thanks for the tip! i've been doing it the hard way. lol.

Reaction score
Your forgetting something

No one is required to use the mouse that comes with the Mac... if you don't like it simply plug in just about any old usb mouse that you do like. My Logitech Roller ball wireless works just great with the G5 and so does my Mickey Soft wireless split keyboard. Remember, it doesn't have to come from Apple to work.

Here's a list of non-apple hardware I use with the G5:

Logitech Roller ball wireless mouse
Microsoft wireless keyboard
Creative 7.1 sound system
Belkin 7 port usb hub
Corsair Pc3200 400 xml ram
Linksys 4 port router
Com Plus cable modem
Epson usb flat bed scanner
Hp 4550 color laser
Hp 2420 Black & white laser
Maxtor 200 gig external hard drive
Samsyng 20" SyncMaster 213T flat monitor
View Sonic 19" flat monitor
Sony usb external dvd burner

Only thing I have found that the G5 won't use is my Ibm 4019 b&w laser printer, and that is only cause it is about 15 years old and I can't find an OS x driver for it. Let me know if you know where one is...

And yes, Apple is competting for the same market, and doing a rather good job at it too, by building a better mouse trap so to speak. Almost all new Apple users come from the dos/winders world trying to escape the hassle of running winders...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I look at the one button/two button argument the same way I do the automatic transmission/manual transmission argument in the automotive world. You get more control, which can be more efficient, but more confusing for beginners and not really necessary if the whole system/vehicle is designed properly.

James said:
Only thing I have found that the G5 won't use is my Ibm 4019 b&w laser printer, and that is only cause it is about 15 years old and I can't find an OS x driver for it. Let me know if you know where one is...

Try http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=IBM-4019
mainly linux info, but GIMP-PRINT works under OS X, too.

OP
soulreaver99
Reaction score
When I use the PC, I right click a lot to cut and paste. When I'm on my iBook, I use the Ctrl+Click a lot and it's somewhat of a hassle. Sure you can plug in a USB mouse, but you won't be able to use that on your lap. Plus it's also one more thing to carry. To me right clicking is very convenient and it's what I am used to just like many PC users out there.

I wonder if anyone made an iBook right click mod... o_O

C

Cloudane

Grats on the book :)

I posted a bit of a discussion on mice not long ago and most people agreed that more than one mouse button is a good thing. I'm not bothered about the other 7 buttons, but right button and scroll wheel are a must for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Personally, I feel much more comfortable with the one button mouse...I just enjoy putting my entire hand(not just finger) on the mouse, and clicking my the altering weight of my hand, versus the tips of my fingers...I just find it more relaxing..Besides, the "onebuttonness" of the Apple Mouse, looks SO much better!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
soulreaver99 said:
When I use the PC, I right click a lot to cut and paste.

More often than not, cut and paste can be done using drag-and-drop on the Mac.

Command-X and Command-V work well, too.

OP
soulreaver99
Reaction score
Yeah you can do that but it's still not as easy as the right click. That's what I'm used to along with a lot of PC users. I attatch a two button USB mouse whenever I get a chance to on my iBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.