upgrade ibook hdd

K

keyvan

Hey, just today I purchased my iBook from the applestore. The 999 dollar one, this thing kicks ass and i am using it regularly with the 250 GB hdd i have put in an external enclosure.The only thing bothering me is the extremely tiny hdd they have in here, the 30 gig, i didnt think it would be that bad, but it sucks, and i am wondering how i can upgrade it since i already bought it at the store. can i go to the genious bar or something and buy the hdd and have them install it, install it myself, buy it at frys and install it on my own, if anyone has any info i would love to hear it, perhaps what hdd i should get, etc. I would really appreciate any help you can give

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
be careful, just cause they work at the applestore doesnt mean they know what theyre doing, trust me.

OP
K

keyvan

Macman said:
be careful, just cause they work at the applestore doesnt mean they know what theyre doing, trust me.

Hello macman,
yeah of course. but then i wouldnt be voiding the warranty in that case, but i think i can do this myself, if you guys would be so kind as to point out what hard drive, etc i need to purchase to be able to put in my ibook G4, anyone got any suggestions perhaps on brand too?

OP
K

keyvan

code777 said:
WOW that is a project, no thank you... but good luck in changing it out.

I just finished it, I upgraded to 1.25GB Ram, and upgraded to 80 GB hdd, my ibook is now full loaded :) I am installing OS X on it right now. :)))) so happy.

Reaction score
keyvan said:
I just finished it, I upgraded to 1.25GB Ram, and upgraded to 80 GB hdd, my ibook is now full loaded :) I am installing OS X on it right now. :)))) so happy.

pics.gif

OP
K

keyvan

Lol, i was very eager to start it last night that i forgot to borrow the camera from my friend. But probly when I buy my own camera ill open it up again, after you do it once (or twice since i forgot to plug in the POWER BUTTON wire) it becomes second nature :p
I could write an up to date guide on how to replace hd

OP
L

Lasha

Wow!!! You Actually Did All That? Oh My God! That's Amazing!!! So Many Screws! Did You Lose Any Of Them???

OP
K

keyvan

hehe, if i can get a hold of a camera ill be sure to write up a guide, as the one i was kind of going by was totally off (ibook g3). i saved a ton of money this way, getting the 30 gb, and buying my 80 gb at fry's electronics, **** they (apple) dont even offer 80 gb hd's.

OP
J

jbsengineer

Anybody upgrade there iBook HDD???

keyvan said:
hehe, if i can get a hold of a camera ill be sure to write up a guide, as the one i was kind of going by was totally off (ibook g3). i saved a ton of money this way, getting the 30 gb, and buying my 80 gb at fry's electronics, **** they (apple) dont even offer 80 gb hd's.

Wondering if anyone else has accomplished this. If so did you use a spudger to split the case or some other tool? I really want to upgrade. I'm at 30gig's right now and i have a 2.5" toshiba 60gb just sitting here in my desk... will the apple store put it in??? I can do it. just want to have my research down before i attempt.... any input is welcome, :)

OP
S

sebeck

We definitely need a better write up. I'm willing to do this, but not with the G3 instructions. I'm amazed that you were willing to crack open your brand new iBook. I wont even take the top lid off to slide a colored piece of plastic underneath the apple emblem yet. It's too new! :)

OP
J

jbsengineer

sebeck said:
We definitely need a better write up. I'm willing to do this, but not with the G3 instructions. I'm amazed that you were willing to crack open your brand new iBook. I wont even take the top lid off to slide a colored piece of plastic underneath the apple emblem yet. It's too new! :)

I'm really set on doing it. Maybe tonight. I plan on documenting it and taking tons of photos. I'll do a decent write-up and post it on my webserver. I was hoping someone would have some input on splittle the case. And what kind of differences i'm going to do from following the G3 guide.

Josh

OP
S

sebeck

jbsengineer said:
I'm really set on doing it. Maybe tonight. I plan on documenting it and taking tons of photos. I'll do a decent write-up and post it on my webserver. I was hoping someone would have some input on splittle the case. And what kind of differences i'm going to do from following the G3 guide.

Josh

Please please please take lots of pictures and document what you do. I really don't feel like lugging around an external firewire HDD. :eek:neye:

OP
S

sebeck

Also, where are you guys ordering your HDD's from and what are the specs? Like dimensions, rpm etc. I'd really like to put a seagate in there. I love their products.

OP
J

jbsengineer

Upgrade to a 60gb is done!!! WAHOOOO

Ok i have photos.... and tips for anyone that wants it. Took me about 3 hours. (with dinner break).

It seems by looking at the G3 install. That the G4 is a little easier. I had fewer screws. And no tape to remove inside.

I split the case with...hehe...i like this. a wegmans shoppers club card. You know the ones they give you to put on your keychain. I felt a credit card could do as well as a spudger and i didn't want to use mine. The card worked awesome. Chewed the heck out of it (beware).

So once i cracked it open. It was just a matter of taking the shields off and boom. The harddrive i had to put in ironically was the exact make and model of what apple shipped with (just diff size of course). Totally accident.

Tips:

1. if you dont have a spudger use a credit card of some sort...

2. keep close track of all your screws and know which ones go where.

3. Keep everything clean. i seamed have got alot of dirt in the cracks. I'll have to get the cue tips out.

4. Careful removing the top cover. the wires are really short....

If I think of anymore. I'll let everyone know.

Plus... apple warranty. Since I had no tape to remove and pretty much everything i did is untraceable except the harddrive difference. Will apple know i modified it if for instance i switch the original HD back in if need be something else broke? Anyone???

josh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.