transferring files from my iMac to my new Macbook

Reaction score
My wife just bought a Macbook (hasn't received it in the mail yet), but we are planning on transferring all of her stuff on our iMac onto her laptop. I would assume that this could be done with firewire, but here are my questions:

I see there are 6 pin and 4 pin, as well as 6 to 4 pin firewire cables. Which one would I need to connect the iMac to our new Macbook?

Also, both computers have bluetooth. I can transfer songs via bluetooth to my phone, so does that mean I can also transfer files from one computer to the next the same way? And if that is indeed possible, would it be faster using firewire?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
You can do it through multiple methods. Firewire may be the fastest. If you have a router, you can transfer the files across the network. Bluetooth thought would probably be the slowest. I'd go with one of the other methods. Or even burning to a DVD/CD depending on the size of the files to be copied.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
I have an old G4 Titanium laptop that i used for years and then bought my iMac. When i started the iMac I was asked if I have an old Apple I am updating. Say yes. Follow instructions on screen and all the settings, files, software etc are moved from the G4 to the iMac. It took about 15 minutes. AMAZING.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.