macbook pro really bad battery life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
hi guys

i am getting not much more than 2hours out of my macbook pro using internet conected and word so not much really also kicking out a lot of heat is there anything i can do to help with better battery life other than buy a new battery i have only had it since the new year so am sad at battery life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

It's suggested that you calibrate your battery when you first acquire the machine and then once every few months.

Also, for interest, download CoconutBattery and find out how "healthy" your battery is- that is, how much of its maximum capacity when it was new is the current maximum capacity?

OP
proxy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is there anything that i can do to help i calibrated it the other week would doing it again help or not

is it best to go get another battery there hitting on ebay for about £40(uk)??

is there a better battery out there or something?

dont really want to pay apple another £100 for a new one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
Are you connecting to the internet via wi-fi or ethernet. If you are connecting through ethernet and not using wi-fi, make sure it's off. Wi-fi uses quite a bit of battery.

For the heat issue, find a way to prop up the laptop so heat can circulate around it. This can be as simple as placing a book in the back, to raise the back of the laptop up an inch or two.

OP
proxy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yer i am using wifi but still did a helth check and my battery has dropped over 10% capacity in like 8months.

i dont think thats a fair rate of decline i will try and get it swapped at an apple store or just buy a second one and have 2 battery's :D

but really is there nothing i can do 2 get that 10% back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
10% over 8 months sounds normal and I'm not sure if Apple will replace the battery. My NEW MacBook Air came with a battery that showed 96% health to which Apple replied this is normal (although they go by the System Profiler information about the battery and not what Coconut/iStat says).

Unfortunately, with rechargeable batteries, that's the nature of the beast. They lose charge over time from use and there's nothing you can do about it other than replace it when necessary.

Granted, there are cases when a battery is found to be defective, but from your comments, I don't think that's the case here.

What is your brightness set at? If it's set to full that's going to drain your battery faster too. Turn things off which you don't need while on battery like Bluetooth and WiFi (if you're connected via Ethernet).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.